Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virginia paper file amended return

khunsandy
Level 3

Since I cannot electronically file VA amended return. Where do I paper file Virginia amended return if the amount in the return won't change and I only create the schedule CR? The instruction shows two options; addresses for refund and for tax due. Should I use the address following the tax due/refund status from the original return? 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

A) Why can't you file electronically?  I know I've done it in Drake so I would hunt a little more for a ProSeries option.  You'll likely mark Amended in the VA module, hopefully that will allow a second efile but I don't know for sure (I left PS before VA allowed efiled amendments).

B) Good question.  The instructions are pretty funny, giving addresses for refund returns and balance due returns but not $0 returns.  I'd opt for the refund address PO Box 1498 since the Box 760 people grab the checks out for deposit then send the return on for processing.  It probably doesn't matter.

C) You probably don't need to file an amended return if there are no tax changes.  If the federal was amended (or adjusted), the IRS will notify VA who will then be looking for an amended return.  The easiest way to appease them might be to just file the $0 return anyway to head off the automated letter.

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
rbynaker
Level 13

A) Why can't you file electronically?  I know I've done it in Drake so I would hunt a little more for a ProSeries option.  You'll likely mark Amended in the VA module, hopefully that will allow a second efile but I don't know for sure (I left PS before VA allowed efiled amendments).

B) Good question.  The instructions are pretty funny, giving addresses for refund returns and balance due returns but not $0 returns.  I'd opt for the refund address PO Box 1498 since the Box 760 people grab the checks out for deposit then send the return on for processing.  It probably doesn't matter.

C) You probably don't need to file an amended return if there are no tax changes.  If the federal was amended (or adjusted), the IRS will notify VA who will then be looking for an amended return.  The easiest way to appease them might be to just file the $0 return anyway to head off the automated letter.

Rick

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you choose to print the Amended Letter in ProSeries does the mailing address print in the letter?

amendedletter.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
khunsandy
Level 3

Thanks so much. I could not figure out how to do the electronic filing in Proseries. My contact at another CPA firm told me their firm does paper filing for VA too. 

0 Cheers