Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vacation time.

rcooley25
Level 11

I have not talked to any of you for a while. I jst got back from a vacation in south dakota and montana.

Have any of you ever experience being surrounded by a herd of over 1000 Buffalos?

24 Comments 24
IRonMaN
Level 15

You wouldn’t lie to us, would you?  Were there really 1,000 of them or were there only 999?

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

I have not but it sounds great.

Ex-AllStar
rcooley25
Level 11

There was at least that many. And once they have blocked the road you had better plan on staying there a long time because they are not going to move untill they are good and ready.

IRonMaN
Level 15

They are neat animals to watch.  I got caught in a herd passing across the road one time in North Dakota.  One of them stopped a few feet away from me and kept giving me the evil eye.  I tried to not make eye contact with him because I kept on thinking he is looking for a reason to ram my truck and I didn't want to give him a reason to do it 😉

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

You were alright as long as you stayed in your vehicle. Get out of your vehicle and start moving towards them and they see you as a threat. If this happens then your family would get some very sad news.

User FIDO 61
Level 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

Some folks don't know the difference between a pet and a wild animal.  Unfortunately some of those folks learn their lesson the hard way.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Have any of you ever experience being surrounded by a herd of over 1000 Buffalos?"

Were you in Yellowstone? The flooding has made a mess of entry there.

Yep. Well, not really surrounded. I have some in the freezer, though. I think the only burgers we've had at the house have all been bison (not really buffalo...) for the past 25 years.

The "MT" in my username is because I live in Montana. The National Bison Range is near me and that's where you get to drive through and over the hills, where they have bison, mountain sheep, elk, bear, etc.

"Some folks don't know the difference between a pet and a wild animal. Unfortunately some of those folks learn their lesson the hard way."

On the local news, we saw the seasonal count is Bison 3 and Tourist 0, because 3 tourists have been tossed and no bison was harmed.

Both Yellowstone and Glacier are an easy drive from me. I do thank all of you for providing your tax dollars to what is essentially my back yard and side yard.

20190628_132555.jpg

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

All you need are a few trees and maybe a lake or two to go with those critters.  I'll see what UPS is willing to ship and I'll try sending some out to you ----------------- we have plenty 😉

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

Yes this is what happen to some people at yellowstone.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I was at custer park in south dakota but I heard what happen  at yellowstone.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

It is great but if you have the chance to experience it just remember to stay in you vehicle,

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I will tell you that it is not as neat an experience when your are touring on a motorcycle......

Kickstand down, and look for the nearest vehicle which might let you in if you need it. Went through that in the black hills...not a herd of 1000, but a herd of 10 to 20 is enough for me.

rcooley25
Level 11

According to my wife I exarated the number and it most likely is closer to 500.

I hate it when she is right.

sjrcpa
Level 15

I had that one time years ago with a flock of sheep.

Ex-AllStar
rcooley25
Level 11

Can you just imagine going to your insurance company and try to explain that you had been hit by a buffalo?

IRonMaN
Level 15

It's an easier explanation than telling the agent that you were hit by a UFO 👽

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Farmers has probably seen this. 😀

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

As long as we are on the subject of hitting things with vehicles (or things hitting vehicles) that reminds me of a story.  My wife ran over a turtle one day.  She felt terrible but she said "it jumped out in front of the vehicle".  Let that be a warning to anyone passing through Minnesota - we evidently have the fastest and most agile turtle species in the world.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"It's an easier explanation than telling the agent that you were hit by a UFO"

Oh, we have those, too, Last week:

https://www.messenger-inquirer.com/news/national/video-russian-fuel-tank-explodes-in-the-sky-above-m...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Taxtime3
Level 3

I stopped to help a friend I saw on the side of the road.  I said hey man you need help?  He said no I was trying to catch a turtle and it got away from me, lol.  True story.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

She felt terrible but she said "it jumped out in front of the vehicle".

That was similar to my friend's experience: "I was backing up.  Suddenly the tree was there..."

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@rcooley25  the miscount is an easy mistake to make.  You need to count the legs and divide by four.

IRonMaN
Level 15

But that sounds overly complicated.  Personally, I would just count the front legs and divide by two.

Slava Ukraini!