Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vacation Home Depreciation

Mikel5
Level 2

The program will not take a deduction for Vacation Home Depreciation carryover from prior years even though I am showing a complete disposition of the property. Is there a prompt for this that I am missing? If this is not deductible why does the program carry it over? Currently the program shows the correct amount on the Schedule E, but takes no deduction, leaving the full amount as carryover. There is no carryover to the 2020 smart worksheet.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Youve checked Box H for complete disposition?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

When you say "Vacation Home",  you mean a home that is used for BOTH personal use and rental use, right?

Although Passive Loss carryovers are fully deductible in the year of sale, I don't think there is any clear guidance if Vacation Home carryovers are deductible.  Because ProSeries does not release the losses, Intuit is essentially taking the stand that they are not deductible.

After researching the issue, if you feel they should be deductible, you will need to manually enter it or override the software to allow the carryover expenses.

However, if you determine that the carryover expenses are NOT deductible, then the unused depreciation will not decrease the Basis of the property.

Mikel5
Level 2

Yes, thanks.

0 Cheers
Mikel5
Level 2

I assume this topic has come up before since you are aware that Proseries doesn't give the deduction.

It doesn't make sense to me that property basis should be reduced by depreciation that can't be 

deducted. I guess I'll continue to research this. Thanks for your help.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Mikel5 wrote:

It doesn't make sense to me that property basis should be reduced by depreciation that can't be deducted. 

Correct.  As I said above, IF you determine the expenses can't be deducted, the depreciation WON'T reduce Basis.

Mikel5
Level 2

So you would manually add this amount back to the basis? I appreciate your clarification. I'll continue checking but there may not be a definitive answer.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Carryover vacation home expenses,  like utilities and depreciation, can only be deducted against rental income. Disposition doesn't help.

I too make an adjustment to add back the depreciation lost under vacation home rules. My rule is that since it is not ALLOWED, IT DOESN'T REDUCE BASIS.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Here is a discussion about the matter to review.  The part about whether or not expenses are allowable when the property is sold start at Post #18:

https://www.taxprotalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6838

Mikel5
Level 2

Thank you! That seems to be the best answer. Should help make my client happier as well.

0 Cheers
Mikel5
Level 2

Thanks for directing me there. Looks like the best answer is adding the carryover depreciation back to the basis. Still not certain that's right but it's certainly something I can defend.

larry11
Level 1

it appears that the depreciation carryover amount offers no relief.

for determining recapture or depreciation, the depreciation worksheet and disposition schedule reports depreciation allowed or allowable. therefore even if you got no benefit of the depreciation in the years the property generated vacation loss and NOT PASSIVE LOSSES, due to too many personal days,

you can't get any benefit. Basically you pay the tax on the recapture even though you got no prior benefit.

the only way to get out of this is to change the use of the property from rental to  solely personal so it is out of service then no future depreciation is claimed as it would not be allowable. Planning would not to use it greater than 10% of days rented so the PAL rules would apply and get benefit of PALs on disposition.

0 Cheers