Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US citizen living overseas with a foreign spouse that does not want/need social security #

LizPS
Level 4

I do taxes for a friend of my son's who lives in Thailand. He owns a FL based S Corp but lives and works in Thailand. He has a Thai wife. When filing his income tax return his wife has no reason to have a ss# so do I file the taxpayer as single? The tax software indicates I can't leave blank or all zeros and electronically file. We have to file electronically since taxpayer is living overseas...can I override the ss# field and still efile on Proseries Basic?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

If they are legally married in Thailand, they are recognized as married for US tax purposes.  The only option then would be MFS if they are living together.

I don't use PS.  But in Lacerte/ProConnect Tax, you will leave the spouse's TIN blank and check the box "Spouse is a nonresident alien and does not have an SSN/ITIN (MFS Only)", which would allow you to efile.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Do they have any dependent children?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
LizPS
Level 4

No children.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

MFS is what you're looking at then.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
BeckerMgt
Level 3

Did you ever figure out your answer? I'm filing the same and can't e-file without entering a SS# or ITIN.

0 Cheers