Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates

hankinstax
Level 5

Has anyone been able to download the ProSeries updates scheduled for 01/05/2022?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PATAX
Level 15

Iron Man, I thought I was able to control it, as I always did in the past, but I'm wrong, because now apparently I can't. I do not leave my computer on, when I'm not working, so it must download the update as soon as I turn the computer on but I'm not sure.

View solution in original post

21 Comments 21
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

My Updates Log shows I got updates on the 5th and the 6th, it should be doing it automatically in the background.

Top menu bar   Information > Logs > Updates Log

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I always check for updates manually before I open the proseries program each morning.

I did get an update when I tried this morning.

I have no idea what if anything it changed.

clr600
Level 8

Yes another update without my knowledge GREAT. Love me some INTUIT.

PATAX
Level 15

@clr600 I agree with you, what a joke!

IRonMaN
Level 15

PA - I thought you said the other day that you could manually control your updates?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Iron Man, I thought I was able to control it, as I always did in the past, but I'm wrong, because now apparently I can't. I do not leave my computer on, when I'm not working, so it must download the update as soon as I turn the computer on but I'm not sure.

hankinstax
Level 5

It seems task scheduler does it in the background.

hankinstax
Level 5

You are absolutely on target.  When you do a manual update as of this morning you no longer can see the status of forms etc.  Additionally, the tools tab no longer has "task scheduler" as an option.  Apparently Intuit has  reason for not wanting individuals to manually update as they wish.  I can only assume they wish to have control over how many systems can update at a given time (only my opinion).

dkh
Level 15

I believe that the chaos that was created last year with ARPA changes may be the reason we have no control of when we update.   If it happens automatically then there is no way a return can be prepared/printed without the latest updates.  Stops those angry phone calls to support and posts in the forum blaming Intuit (or IRS which is ridiculous) of changing a return when it was really just a return prepared without current program updates downloaded.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

And now they can get the angry calls when the newest update screws something up and we had no control over allowing the update or not.

dkh
Level 15

Yep !

IRonMaN
Level 15

But what could ever go wrong with an Intuit update?😯

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN wasn't the same question asked about the Titanic?

IRonMaN
Level 15

But I’m not willing to go down with the ship.  As I asked awhile back - give me back my ability to control the updates.  I think I still know how to drive a stick shift so get out of my way and let me drive.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN you hit the nail on the head...I am not going out like that either...

Matt C
Employee
Employee

Hello @clr600 and others on this thread, thank you to those of you who took the survey around updates / update notifications. Based on the feedback we received, we will be adding an option to turn off the automatic updates in a future release (hopefully in the next month or so). With that, you should be able to update whenever you see fit.

Please understand that we originally made the decision to have updates be entirely automatic because the majority of users did not want to configure their updates or update manually. In addition, the volume of issues we see due to users NOT updating is much greater than issues caused by being on the latest version of the software. That said, we understand there have been some issues in the past from 'bad updates' which worries you greatly, so that is why we are adding the option to turn off automatic updates. Our ultimate goal is for users to not think about updates at all.

Thank you for your patience, and please continue to provide feedback - we make decisions based on customer data, so every input matters!

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

MattC

Thanks to you and the intuit team for hearing those of us who are used to, and prefer operating by ourselves being in charge of keeping our software updated. 

The reasons for the original decision do have some logic, but it is appreciated to hear the other voices heard and valued as well. 

Thanks again (and please pass it around)

Jeff

Greta
Level 9

If you've had your software updated on Jan 5-6, could you check to see if Form 2441 was updated? I was under the impression that (in certain income brackets), 50% of $8000 per child of child care expense would be a refundable credit. For my client with two children, that would be a hefty credit of $16K. I just now manually updated it, and the old Form 2441 is still there.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Greta wrote:

50% of $8000 per child of child care expense would be a refundable credit. For my client with two children, that would be a hefty credit of $16K.

You client would have a credit of $8000 (50% of $16,000).

I haven't checked the software, but it is not surprising that it hasn't been updated yet.  It is pretty common for the software to be severely lacking at this point in time.

Greta
Level 9

Right, of course, my error. Maximum credit for two children is $8000.

I'll keep checking for updated Form 2441.

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

I would bet that there are no software companies that have this ready yet. It is just much too early and you can't e file the returns now anyways since the IRS has not announced opening day for e-filing. Just my opinion

0 Cheers