Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to efile with high state tax withheld

krav
Level 2

I have a client with NY tax withholding that exceeds 25% of the taxable income - I know I cannot e-file the NY return, but can I still e-file the federal return? or will I get an error message?  I have to mail the return to the client, so if I need to prepare paper return for both fed and state, I would rather know now than later. Thanks for any help!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
IRS shouldnt care about NY withholding limits....are you getting the message for the federal when you go through the REVIEW button?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
krav
Level 2

Yes, unfortunately, it is a federal error - you can't have more than 50% of state withholding compared to income. My client is actually close to 100%.  I guess I'll just have her paper mail everything - oh well...

0 Cheers
bt1
Level 1

I entered two separate NY wages and withholding lines on the w2 worksheet with the wages the same on each but splitting the withholding....hopefully it efiles correctly!

0 Cheers