Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typo on a trust name when applying for an EIN, how to fix?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I made a typo on an EIN application for an irrevocable trust and misspelled the name, I put a Z and it should have been an S.

I see for business EINs you can write to IRS and just explain the error and they will fix it.

Im guessing its the same for this situation? Will they send an updated EIN letter? They'll need the letter to open a bank account once this trust has received some income.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Someone in a Facebook group found this for me, not sure where, but really helpful!  Looks like they DO send an updated letter, fingers crossed this info is still current.

Answer from CPA Pilot  In the case of a typographical error on an EIN application for an irrevocable trust, the process to correct the mistake is indeed similar to that for businesses. You should write to the IRS at the address where you filed the EIN application. In your letter, explain the error and provide the correct information. Include the EIN number, the name and address of the trust as it was originally provided on the SS-4 form, and the corrected name of the trust. It’s also advisable to include a copy of the EIN assignment notice if available.
Once the IRS processes the correction, they will send an updated EIN confirmation letter, which can be used to open a bank account and for other official purposes. It’s important to ensure that all trust documents reflect the correct name to avoid any future discrepancies.
For more detailed instructions, you can refer to the IRS’s guidelines on how to correct EIN information:

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think you are guessing right.  An EIN is an EIN, so it shouldn't matter if the error was on a business or estate account.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Do you think they will send a new updated EIN letter, or can we request that they do when I send the name change letter?

IRonMaN
Level 15

That I don't know.  If you are dealing with a small local bank, I think you would get by with a "here is the letter and we are getting the spelling corrected".  If they are going with a large chain bank, I would request the new letter when you make the request.

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Not sure if this is correct, but you could just decide that the trust named in the original application really does not exist, as there is no trust for that name.

Then you just apply for an EIN for the trust in the correct name...No waiting, print out the letter for the correctly named trust and move on!

IRonMaN
Level 15

To be honest, that idea crossed my mind too😊

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@jeffmcpa2010 I do not prepare estate/trust returns, but would there be a return that IRS expects to be filed for "original trust", resulting in IRS letter(s), creating issue later?

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

That might be a possibility PATAX, but a letter explaining the trust was never funded or something like that probably would suffice. I kind of doubt a letter would be issued unless income got reported to that EIN sometime in the future (Interest Dividends etc.) But that's just opinion.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Someone in a Facebook group found this for me, not sure where, but really helpful!  Looks like they DO send an updated letter, fingers crossed this info is still current.

Answer from CPA Pilot  In the case of a typographical error on an EIN application for an irrevocable trust, the process to correct the mistake is indeed similar to that for businesses. You should write to the IRS at the address where you filed the EIN application. In your letter, explain the error and provide the correct information. Include the EIN number, the name and address of the trust as it was originally provided on the SS-4 form, and the corrected name of the trust. It’s also advisable to include a copy of the EIN assignment notice if available.
Once the IRS processes the correction, they will send an updated EIN confirmation letter, which can be used to open a bank account and for other official purposes. It’s important to ensure that all trust documents reflect the correct name to avoid any future discrepancies.
For more detailed instructions, you can refer to the IRS’s guidelines on how to correct EIN information: