Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling nurse worked in Oregon Maryland and Pennsylvania

PATAX
Level 15

Client is resident of Pennsylvania and worked as a traveling nurse in PA, Oregon and Maryland. They lived in a camper when they were out of state. It looks like non-resident for Maryland, 1/4/21 to 4/3/21 worked there,, since they didn't live there for more than 6 months. Looks like non-resident for Oregon, 4/12/21 to 8/10/21,  but I am not 100% sure for both. Trying to get the exact instructions concerning this but as usual hard to find and discern sometimes. Any help with Oregon and MD would be appreciated. thank you

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

The way you described is how I would do it.

Pa - Resident return (presumably claiming some kind of credit for tax paid to MD and OR)

MD - non resident

OR non resident.

I had a couple of traveling Physical Therapists several years ago, and that is the way I did it no matter what states they happened to land in for a few months.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

The way you described is how I would do it.

Pa - Resident return (presumably claiming some kind of credit for tax paid to MD and OR)

MD - non resident

OR non resident.

I had a couple of traveling Physical Therapists several years ago, and that is the way I did it no matter what states they happened to land in for a few months.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm not sure what exact instructions you might be looking for but Jeff is right, you have two non-resident returns to file in addition to their PA return.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN @jeffmcpa2010 thanks that is what it looks like to me also. It also looks like I will have to request a refund from Maryland and probably from Oregon also on the taxes withheld by those States. That means I'll have to declare all the income on the PA resident return and they are going to owe a lot on the PA return. They will have to wait for the refunds from the two non-resident States. Thanks a million

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Doesn't PA allow a credit for the taxes that will be reported in the two nonresident states?

Slava Ukraini!
Dusty2
Level 7
PATAX
Level 15

It looks like since PA and Maryland have reciprocity oh, that I have to file the Maryland nonresident return because the taxes were mistakenly withheld for Maryland and get the refund from them. Not sure about Oregon.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Typically, MD refunds come faster than federal ones. No guarantee, though.

Ex-AllStar