Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring assets from a 1040 to an LLC 1065

Ruth2
Level 2

I have a client who has rental properties that have 10 pages of depreciation items.  He just this year transferred the rental activities to an LLC 1065.  Is there a way that I can transfer the entire depreciation schedule to the LLC, or will I have to enter each item separately?

He also has a farm schedule and raises cattle, which has been transferred to another LLC.  It also has a depreciation schedule, although not as lengthy.

R. Torrey

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Just to clarify, are there other owners of the LLC other than the client?

0 Cheers
Ruth2
Level 2

Husband and wife LLC.

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Well there are at least a couple of situations. If the taxpayers are in a community property they have a choice, to treat the LLC as a disregarded entity (Which would mean continuing to report on the Schedule E as before), or a partnership. That choice might simplify things if it is available.

A non-community state does require partnership treatment.

I believe that I have heard that if you have the Fixed Asset Manager, you may be able to do a transfer, otherwise you are probably stuck with re-entering all the assets.

This is the reverence I found.

Joint Ownership of LLC by Spouse in Community Property States

Rev. Proc. 2002-69 addressed the issue of classification for an entity that is solely owned by husband and wife as community property under laws of a state, a foreign country or possession of the United States.

If there is a qualified entity owned by a husband and wife as community property owners, and they treat the entity as a:

• Disregarded entity for federal tax purposes, the Internal Revenue Service will accept the position that the entity is disregarded for federal tax purposes.
  • Partnership for federal tax purposes, the Internal Revenue Service will accept the position that the entity is partnership for federal tax purposes.

A change in the reporting position will be treated for federal tax purposes as a conversion of the entity.

A business entity is a qualified entity if;

1. The business entity is wholly owned by a husband and wife as community property under the laws of a state, a foreign country, or possession of the United States;
  2. No person other than one or both spouses would be considered an owner for federal tax purposes; and
  3. The business entity is not treated as a corporation under IRC §301.7701-2.
0 Cheers
Ruth2
Level 2

We are in Missouri, and that is not a community property state.  I got an extension on the 1065 and I'm getting one on the personal return so I will have time to enter all those assets if that is what I have to do.

Ruth

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

To clarify, then: the formation of an LLC for legal protection by this married couple does not turn them into a Partnership for purposes of tax returns. Are you certain this is not still just a 1040 reporting? Are you certain this is supposed to change to 1065? Being "LLC" is a State construct and does not by definition make this a multi-member partnership.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

In a noncommunity property state it does make it a partnership for income tax purposes.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

Or joint venture.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers