Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Title & Escrow charges on Business Property purchased is deductible

bm
Level 3

Title & Escrow charges on Business Property purchased is deductible? 

My client Purchased 5M propety which I have put in as Asset but would like to know on Title & Escrow charges on Business Property ?

As such this is intengible asset can it be amortize? for how long?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dascpa
Level 11

Some people will add the capitalizable costs to the asset and some people will create a separate asset for settlement costs.  Both are still depreciated the same way.  Prior answer was correct.  You need to go through settlement sheet line by line to see what is capitalizable, what is escrow (a non-depreciable asset) and what can be expensed.  Realize, only interest and taxes are expensed, unless there are rental property utility, HOA, etc. fees paid at settlement.  Those would go on the rental property schedule.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

It gets added to the cost of the asset.

Slava Ukraini!
bm
Level 3

Do I make building 5M and Escrow Chares seprate as Asset ?

As presently I have depreciated Building  so I add Escrow charges to building or create seprate asset account?

Thanks! much awaited reply to my above question.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"Some" of the escrow charges *might* be deductible, depending on exactly what they are.   NMI.

You need to go thru them to decide.  IF there are prorations of taxes, insurance, utilities - those are not added to basis.  Nor are amounts that are impounded.

Title charges are added to basis.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
dascpa
Level 11

Some people will add the capitalizable costs to the asset and some people will create a separate asset for settlement costs.  Both are still depreciated the same way.  Prior answer was correct.  You need to go through settlement sheet line by line to see what is capitalizable, what is escrow (a non-depreciable asset) and what can be expensed.  Realize, only interest and taxes are expensed, unless there are rental property utility, HOA, etc. fees paid at settlement.  Those would go on the rental property schedule.

bm
Level 3

Thanks! for your prompt reply well like other charges on Escrow like credit on Property Taxes, Loan Fees I have taken out to be acccounted correctly  but Now I have 100% Tilte & Escrow Charges for the Business Building Purchased.

Awaiting for your reply.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You need to look at the detail of each one of those Title and Escrow charges.

Ex-AllStar