Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thought I Was Done - State Tax on Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

dascpa
Level 11

He works for US Gov, she works for USO.  Live in Japan.  His is taxable to Maryland.  Hers is Federally excluded due to Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.  Certain states accept the exclusion, others do not.  Online only info is a few tax preparers say yes and others say no.  Called Comptroller of MD Tax Pro Help Line.  Clueless but they said it is not taxable.  I asked for documentation for my files.  They could not give me any.  Does anyone KNOW whether her income is an addition adjustment and taxable in Maryland.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@sjrcpa  would you know about this? i looked  in MD instructions. Couldn’t find anything.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

While you're waiting for Susan to arrive . . . 🙂  MD conforms to federal with exceptions.  I don't see section 911 or foreign earned income exclusion as one of the exceptions.  There's also no "add back" code for it in the instructions.  Not exactly a "cite" but I'm not sure how you prove something doesn't exist.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I agree with Rick.

MD allows the foreign earned income exclusion but I have no cite either.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers