Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things that make you wonder

IRonMaN
Level 15

So this morning I pulled out of my pile a tax return that also included W-2s for their three high school and college age kids.  One of the kids has a W-2 for $1.00.  What on earth do you do (or not do) to receive a paycheck for $1.00?  Well, I should say a paycheck for $0.94 since they did withhold Social Security.  It's been an interesting year to say the least.

Slava Ukraini!
20 Comments 20
PATAX
Level 15

He or she worked for 7 minutes and then quit?

IRonMaN
Level 15

It was from a high school so I don't know if it was from some type of program and they paid him a buck just acknowledge that he was there ------------ or if they found a loophole in the minimum wage rules and he worked one day for their minimum wage 😜

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

Today one of my large investor client had moved all of his investments from 9 different investment accounts into 7 new ones and then rebalanced his portfolio.  Not a big deal to enter 16 investment 1099's, just slow.  But the investment house issues two 1099's for each account with exact same numbers. I ask the client - for joint accounts they split the 1099's into two.  So now I have 9 + 7 + 7 = 23  investment accounts. Makes you wonder.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I kinda prefer dealing with my $1 W2s instead of your ridiculousness 😀

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

Speaking of investment people - Client has a nice letter from their investment company listing out the QCD amounts for the year.  I'm looking at the letter and that account number doesn't agree with the account number (or the name) of the one IRA 1099R we have for the spouse.  Call the investment company up - oh no, you have everything.  But, but, but, the account number and name?  Oh, I guess you are missing one "because they don't have electronic access to that account and the 1099R is only provided electronically" 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Going back to my favorite item - energy tax credits, had one over the weekend.  No invoice.  No dollar amount.  No model number ---------- but they did include a nice official looking certification type form listing which models the company says qualifies for the credit. 🤔

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

Your reliance on documents and documentation will be your downfall. All you need is to take whatever the client says and go with it.

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@IRonMaN  the school must need him in their payroll system for some purpose.  Possibly he is an unpaid volunteer that they want to have covered under their work comp insurance?

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

IRonMaN
Level 15

The only justification I can come up with is they just wanted to see if they could drive me crazy.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Slightly O/T....   Parent dies, kid inherits IRA (s).   25 different Form 1099-Rs with amounts ranging from $ 350 up to  $ 8000.    

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

They have a class, "IronMan is going to retire by the time you finish college and we need 10 people to replace him."  One assignment was preparing a sample W-2.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Only 25 1099Rs?  Couldn't they have stretched it to 30?

They have an IRonMaN class?  I wonder if I can still sign up for it.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN It's not an elective.  It's only for those who have to show up for Saturday morning detention.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I am used to reporting to the principal's office here, so I can start blocking off some Saturdays.

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

Have they suceeded?

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

favorite conversation today....   annual extension conversation w/ client....

Me;   you didn't make any of the estimates last year?  are you sure? 

TP:  no,  sorry,  I forgot

Me: no problem....  I'll take care of everything electronically

TP.: oh... great... thank you

Me:  my pleasure... just make sure you have 182K in your account before 4/15.

TP  okay

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
IRonMaN
Level 15

It’s hard to remember to make those small payments like that

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Favorite voice mail from yesterday..... client that took his business to a younger preparer (he wanted someone that would be in business longer than me because I'm you know...old) wants me to review his return.  Didn't like the results..................hahahahahahahahaha         

dascpa
Level 11

You're approaching tax returns all wrong.  I think I posted this last year.  Ask them first how much of a refund they want, then work from bottom up to get the numbers to match it.  Could this be why Jim does 1500-1600 returns? Just market differently....

PATAX
Level 15

@dkh 👍

IRonMaN
Level 15

@dkh  - I wouldn't return the call.  When he calls back just tell him that you were going to call him back but forgot --------- that's what us old people do. 😀

Slava Ukraini!