Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There will Be Another Software Update on Friday, 2/23

Just an FYI.  I sent a return Thursday early a.m. with Form 5329 and an excess HSA contribution and it rejected with a resolution message saying there will be a software update released tomorrow on February 23rd to resolve this.

For those who updated Wednesday and are thinking you are good until next Wednesday on updates, you may want to do another update on Friday.  It may not be just this issue included in Friday's update.

21 Comments 21
IRonMaN
Level 15

I’m a bit surprised.  Normally by this time of the year everything is running perfectly and they are done doing updates for the year🤪

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

A large update came through this morning, thursday.. sometimes i see a box pop up on the lower right of my screen notifying of an update but i don't always see the pop up so i also check myself from time to time. 

That is what happens when you sleep at night and are at work at 4:40 am.  You miss the update real time.  It came through late Wednesday/real early Thursday.  The return I sent, which was rejected, was sent after the update you are referring to.  So there should be another update on Friday.

Now I have to wait 24 hours and stare at a red reject on my homebase.  I feel like I'm in the penalty box.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

it would be really cool if after an update a short bullet point list was alerted out with what major components of the update were.. sort of like how apple describes the updates.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe you could bring that up at the next Intuit shareholder meeting 😉

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

that is a great idea.. just maybe a open chat session between tax pros and intuit where we can bring up questions and suggestions.. they used to have question and answer sessions a few years ago but this would be focused on the overall program and ideas.

Sort of like the chat between the customer service rep you are talking to on the phone and whoever they are typing with?  Yeah, that always turns out well.  

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

no, no.. with the software developers. or bring back brad smith

The Friday 2/23 update was available by 11:00 pm central Thursday.  I ran the update and again filed the return I mentioned above in starting this thread.  I am very happy to say that the 5329 and the HSA excess distribution issues have been fixed, as the return has been accepted by IRS.

I realize I am constantly pounding Intuit over program issues.  I will continue to do so when I think appropriate but today I am giving Intuit a thumbs up for fixing the issue by the time they stated.

Anyway, as mentioned by Jim above, it would be nice to know everything in the updates.  So even if the 5329 and HSA  are not your issues, I am suggesting everyone run another update upon reading this.

Hey Jim,

It is 4:44 a.m. in OH.  What are you doing, sleeping in today?

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

4:54 am.. up and adam.. reporting for duty sir!.

Good job!  And Good Morning!

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I reconcile my own checking account every morning within my Sage 50 program.. very good program.. I notice that my credit card fees are a lot higher..

I use Intuit merchannt services (of course being an Intuit fan), plus it is just what I used when I first accepting credit cards.  Inuit raised the fees on "e-checks" I used to be able to accept payment using client's routing number and account number for a flat 50 cents. Intuit recently raised it to 1% of the amount, not to exceed the amount of $ 15.00. I don't really mind since it helps the stock price, hoveirng near all time high highs.. Not as metoric as Nvidia stock but still quite nice.  

0 Cheers

What I really want to know is how do you do all those returns, the IRS, OH, the municipality, and the School District so quickly?  I figure if I was just doing OH returns I would probably only by able to do half of what I currently do.  I would much rather do a CA return than an OH return.  Fortunately, I only have one client in OH.

I'm calling it a night at 4:37 a.m. central.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11
I hope you get a good rest and start the next day strong.  Maybe people think I am kidding when I say I can do a return in six mintutes. I am not kidding.. like this message. I can type fast.. I know the tax laws.. if it is a returning client I can enter their data.. and yes. review it before i submit it in a really short amount of time.. I use the side bar a lot in the program where it lists what needs to be fixed. often they are just check boxes and not real errors.. more like open items I think of them.. 

First i line up the client docs in order of submission in the program.. W-2s, 1099 - INTs, 1099- DIV,s, 1099-Rs, SSA 1099s. and if they bring me the mortgage statement, real estate taxes, charitable contiburtions.. I glance at them and sicne the standard deduction is so large I almost always just slide those to the side if they are not enough to eclipse itemeizing.. I don't even enter those items usually.. why would i enter them if they have no impact on the return.. one or twice a year i do as i have very rare clients that insist that they are saving taxes by "not really itemizing but entered all the same".. i humor them and enter the itemized deductions in those rare cases but is very rare.

So i go down the 1040 or use the forms in use bar, from last year pulled over... enter the data, almost always in order of the 1040.. then i go back and review the return.. comparing the source data to the 1040 on the screen.. flip to state, handle the state, city, and the school return, who people are still complaning about this year but I know how it works and it is different this year, no big deal.  I adjusted to it.  Here is where it all takes place. 428150935_1288822015853382_4461925965903798114_n.jpg428088352_269769756159980_5200244184649669855_n.jpg426489586_924433282311295_2103282342237415717_n.jpg428118605_916919306761886_6161207689284110363_n.jpg

0 Cheers

You know what?  I thought I was amazed by the number of returns you do.  Forget that.  What is so much more amazing by a magnitude of like a billion is it is so neat!  Not a piece of paper anywhere.  How is that possible?

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm just surprised that he managed to squeeze in the time to take those pictures.

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

@Jim-from-Ohio 

Have you ever considered have a least one monitor in protrait mode? I think it is faster.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Take a look at the clock

IRonMaN
Level 15

I saw the clock - I also saw the disguised bottle of Fireball.  Nice touch - nobody would ever guess what is really in it. 

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

8879s are stored electronically.. ps.. that was a.m. on the clock. got a late start

0 Cheers