Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the sale of goodwill

jgcpa
Level 4

How do I enter the sale of goodwill. (self created) This is an asset sale the the sa

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
qbteachmt
Level 15

You seem to be describing income without any basis.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
George4Tacks
Level 15

Goodwill is a capital asset and the sale goes on Schedule D. It would also be an entry on Form  8594, if there are multiple assets sold. 

@jgcpa You my want to come back and complete your sentence to give us more information.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
sffdib
Level 5

How is the sale of self-created goodwill asset entered on schedule D? It looks like to me that the only options to enter sale of any assets in ProSeries is thru QuickZoom for 1099-B, Nonbusiness Bad Debt, or Home Sale Worksheet and I know that it is none of those. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

The link to 1099-B entry worksheet has places to enter assets where they ask if the sale was reported on Form 1099-B.  Just say no.  

sffdib
Level 5

You maybe correct, but it does not look right to me. It is asking for financial institution information, middle of the form is asking for 8949 information. My old software, you just had to put purchase date, sale date, description, proceeds, and cost. 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Yeah new look for this year .....just scroll down to the Quick Entry Table   

sffdib
Level 5

Thanks, done. 

0 Cheers