Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas client rents bees to California company, received a 1099 for amount. Does he have a state filing requirement?

Eddie903
Level 4

He is in Texas and shipped the bees to California for a month then they are shipped back. 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If he collected rents on a house in CA, or rented a piece of equipment to someone located in CA,  hed have a filing requirement, is that different than renting bees?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

Since his bees flew out there, he did have a presence in CA.  I think CA taxes anybody that even thinks about their state.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

theyll even track you down in another state when you stopped thinking about them!  LOL

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Eddie, I don't know the answer to your question and it does matter since TX has no income tax so anything paid in CA will not be given credit for.  I think sale happened in TX so no CA tax. 

But what I am interested in is how does one TX beekeeper know if he got his bees back.  Could they not have been any bee returned?   Maybe CA bee substitutes or even illegal bees that got into CA thru border?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

they might come back from California too liberal?

0 Cheers