Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxpayer received social security card in 2022. They had ITIN previously with two kids (and married). Are they able to amend the past 3 years to receive any credits they would have missed out on since he didnt have a social? Thank you!

JOSEJARAG
Level 1

Taxpayer received social security card in 2022. They had ITIN previously with two kids (and married). Are they able to amend the past 3 years to receive any credits they would have missed out on since he didnt have a social? Thank you!

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Norman2001
Level 7

I used to volunteer at a VITA site and we saw quite a few of these situations. The answer was Yes, you can amend to claim prior year unallowed credits. But the 2019 return may be too late for a refund. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"But the 2019 return may be too late for a refund."

Recent news release:

"The Internal Revenue Service estimates that there is almost $1.5 billion in unclaimed refunds from tax year 2019, but the deadline to secure that money is nearing.

Taxpayers have until July 17 to submit a tax return and get the money they are owed."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Norman2001
Level 7

Oh yeah, I completely forgot there was a pandemic. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@JOSEJARAG wrote:

Are they able to amend the past 3 years to receive any credits they would have missed out on since he didnt have a social?

They can amend their returns, however, many credits require the taxpayer to have their Social Security Number by the due date of the return.  So I suspect they won't be able to claim any credits that they haven't already taken.