Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxpayer filing single with wages of $18,000 had a 1098-T w/ scholarship (Pell grant) in excess of tuition of $3,740. Difference is reported in income?

jennifersue444
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

My starting point is always "Assume the 1098-T is wrong" and then I go from there. 🙂  This year there have been reports of colleges who've never reported in box 1 before only including money received from the student in box 1 (and not including tuition paid by scholarship).  I always have the client get a financial history from the school.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9
What was the total Pell Grant Scholarship awarded for 2018 tax year?
0 Cheers
jennifersue444
Level 1
$5,920 total Pell grant. $1,355 in tuition plus $825 books and eligible expenses.
0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9
Include All $5,920 in Pell grants as income by listing on student worksheet Part V, Line 4 the amount of $5,920.  This frees up an education credit to reduce any tax owed.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

My starting point is always "Assume the 1098-T is wrong" and then I go from there. 🙂  This year there have been reports of colleges who've never reported in box 1 before only including money received from the student in box 1 (and not including tuition paid by scholarship).  I always have the client get a financial history from the school.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

What happens when you load the 1098T into the software?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
jennifersue444
Level 1
Its showing it as income but with it being a Pell grant I just wonderes if the whole thing is tax free. I just wanted to be sure
0 Cheers