Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Prep Tips

taxes96786
Level 9

I have been preparing with ProSeries Pro for over 20 years. Here are my suggestions for doing research:

1. download current year Pub 17 and use it first

2. research on irs.gov or google IRS...type your question or topic

3. click the ? option 

4. if you don't find what you want to know that is the time to post your question here

PREPARING RETURNS:

1. Don't transfer prior return until you have all client docs and are ready to prepare return

2. Don't pay for PPR efile until you are ready to file return...don't put funds in PPR account until you need them.  They do not give the money back if not used and you cannot transfer it to next year

3. My preference is not to use any of the ProSeries "extras" (esignature, etc). This avoids program problems many of you are encountering.

4, When reviewing a return for errors, prior to filing, select only the items you need in order to file...

5. Back up all program files from Win Explorer onto a usb thumb drive before shutting down for the day. This will insure that you have a current backup of everything you have entered, to date, in case you need to reinstall program.

6. Always use a new download and install from your my proseries account when reinstalling program. Once installed open Win Explorer, scroll down to ProWinXX (year) and copy over the program from the usb thumb drive backup. Then select homebase tuneup and all your data should be up to date in the program when you open it.

If I think of anything else that may be helpful I will repost.

1 Comment 1
athaureaux6
Level 8

Very helpful advice. Thank you. 

0 Cheers