Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Calculation

Amanda5712
Level 2

Has anyone noticed since the last update that the federal income tax is not calculating correctly?

My client taxable income 103588  tax calculated by proseries 14,008.00

Manual calculation with tax table calculation 13404.00

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

I get $14,023.  But that assumes all sorts of highly relevant facts not in evidence such as tax year, filing status, $0 QD/LTCG . . .

View solution in original post

14 Comments 14
GodFather
Level 8

What made you calculate by hand?  

Amanda5712
Level 2

We always check them by hand.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Amanda5712 wrote:

Has anyone noticed since the last update that the federal income tax is not calculating correctly?

My client taxable income 103588  tax calculated by proseries 14,008.00

Manual calculation with tax table calculation 13404.00

Are there anything things that you may have mis-entered in the software, such as entering something as a short-term capital gain rather than a long-term gain?

Is there anything that you may have missed on your manual calculation, such as factoring in the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion?

If there are any Schedule D capital gain worksheets, I think you can print them out.  Have you tried that and compared that to your manual calculations?

rbynaker
Level 13

I get $14,023.  But that assumes all sorts of highly relevant facts not in evidence such as tax year, filing status, $0 QD/LTCG . . .

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So yesterday the program calculated it as 13404 but today, after the update,  its 14008?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

Pro Series does an excellent job on calculation of that. If it did not, then we would all be getting notices from the IRS. I cannot recall, in my little pea brain, of ever getting a notice for erroneous tax calculation.

GodFather
Level 8

How often have you changed a return based on the manual calculation?  That is a completely sincere question.  In 30 (I'm 39 years old) years of preparing taxes, I've never once received a notice that the calculated tax was incorrect.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

We double check the tax calculation for the first couple of returns coming off the assembly line each year.  If those returns are good, we hit the gas and don't look back. 

Slava Ukraini!
Amanda5712
Level 2

Well have been in business for over 45 years.  I figured out what happened.  Someone changed my tax table sheet to 2023.  Mean joke!  Using the 2022 tables everything is correct, but yes always good to double check the program with the correct tax tables and not just be data entry and trust the program.  

STILGOIN
Level 1

I have received 3 notices this year about taxes being calculated wrong from the IRS and I use Pro Series- this is a real issue this time. 

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@STILGOIN wrote:

I have received 3 notices this year about taxes being calculated wrong from the IRS and I use Pro Series- this is a real issue this time. 

IRS Notices don't mean anything. 

Did you manually calculate it, and was it actually calculated incorrectly?  Was it income tax on line 16, or some other thing?  Did you verify you entered long/short capital gains and qualified/nonqualified dividends correctly? 

Because most returns are correct, what circumstances triggered the incorrect calculation (date it was filed, certain types of income, etc.)?

Tax1007
Level 1

I have a client with a total income of $80,710. After taking the HOH standard deduction, the taxable income of the client is $59,910. The first $15,700 is taxed at a rate of 10%, resulting in a tax amount of $1,570. The remaining balance of $44,210 is taxed at a rate of 12%. 12% of $44,210 is $5,305. Adding the two tax amounts together, $1,570 + $5,305, gives a total tax liability of $6,875 according to the hand calculation. However, the system shows a slightly different total of $6,885. Any one experiencing this issue with the 2023?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Tables v. specific calculations can show rounding differences

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
bostoneac
Level 1

I have had the same problem with a recent return. We always check our returns by hand and this is the first one that isn’t calculating correctly. 

0 Cheers