Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking early Roth Ira AND traditional IRA for first time home purchase

mickey
Level 4

A husband and wife took distribution of 21600 from their Roth Ira AND 5500 from their traditional IRA to purchase their first home.  The rule says you can withdraw 10000 for this purpose without having to pay the penalty.  

Question for the community, does the 5500 not qualified since the sum of the Roths exceed the allowed 20000 (10K for each person) as qualified withdrawal?  Do they have to pay the penalty on the 5500?  What is the numbering rule for doing this?

On the 1099-R worksheet for the Roth distribution it does ask how much of the withdrawal went into buying a home.  Same with the 1099-R for the traditional withdrawal.  

How would I allocate these withdrawals to minimize the taxes for my clients?

Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Since only the earnings on the Roth are taxable, I'd allocate the 10K to the taxable IRA.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
sjrcpa
Level 15

Since only the earnings on the Roth are taxable, I'd allocate the 10K to the taxable IRA.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers