Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching Order of Primary Taxpayer and Secondary Taxpayer (Spouse) on Return

jeffreyeng
Level 3

Hi,

I'm working on a 1040 where the primary taxpayer died in 2023. Is there a way to switch the primary taxpayer and secondary taxpayer (spouse) on the return so the spouse becomes the primary taxpayer then deceased taxpayer is secondary?

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

Not automatically. You get to type.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Why would you need to? 

It will automatically move the SP to the TP position on the 2024 return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@Just-Lisa-Now-   .... fwiw,  in the past, some states would 'tag' ES payments only to the primary (decedent) taxpayers SSN.  When the SP filed single in following year, the State ES payments would get lost....   You'd have to call the State to get the ES payments transferred to the surviving SP account. very annoying!

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
sjrcpa
Level 15

Some states require this in the year of death. I think PA and VA.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Skylane wrote:

@Just-Lisa-Now-   .... fwiw,  in the past, some states would 'tag' ES payments only to the primary (decedent) taxpayers SSN.  When the SP filed single in following year, the State ES payments would get lost....   You'd have to call the State to get the ES payments transferred to the surviving SP account. very annoying!

You wouldnt make ES payments under a deceased spouses SSN for a year you wouldnt be filing with them.

I wasnt aware any states required this, what a hassle.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think it's relatively new, at least for PA and VA.

Ex-AllStar