Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superseded CA return with no change in tax not showing up? Is it needed?

The taxpayer is filing a superseded return. They end up owing the IRS $27 and no change at all to the CA tax. The Federal superseded return shows up as "pending" for efiling.  The California return does not

I created a Schedule X in California but can't find anywhere to indicate the return is superseded.  I don't think it is needed at all, with no change in the tax.

If I go to request another e-signature, even though only the Fed return is "pending"; it checks CA also and looks like it will create another request for CA.

Am I doing something wrong with California?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
taxes96786
Level 9

If there are no changes to CA, you don't need to file a superseded return.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

Why are you bothering for $27 federal tax and -0- CA?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did you check the CA Amended to be EFiled on the Fed Info Worksheet?

FWIW< I wouldnt bother to amend the CA return if zero tax change.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

For CA I won't bother, for the Fed, he owes $27.  Why shouldn't he pay it?  He received another 1099.  It'll be picked up eventually.

0 Cheers

Yeah I'm not gonna bother with CA.  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

How much are you charging for the superseded return? More than $27?

I would have told the client to pay the bill if and when IRS sends him one.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Agree with Susan.  If your client missed a 1099 or it came late, especially since there is MTE on Fed and it makes $0 different for CA, I'd suggest that the client wait for a notice instead and manage his/her expectations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
taxes96786
Level 9

If there are no changes to CA, you don't need to file a superseded return.

There are extenuating circumstances. I can't do that; he sent it to me, concerned, and wants it reported. Also, this is his last MFJ return with his very-soon-to-be ex-wife.  He does not want loose ends.

0 Cheers