Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunday March 10, 2024

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

4:30 am here, or I mean 5:30 am really. Tax season should be in the fall, when clocks fall back an hour.. that would be three more returns.   I just lost three returns, the opportunity I should say of three returns with losing this hour.  So either it would be better to have tax season in the fall, or I can move to a state that does not participate in the time change

16 Comments 16
ljr
Level 8

I feel you - rolled into office at 6:30am (or as my head was screaming it 5:30am what is wrong with you?) 

IRonMaN
Level 15

What hour?  Doesn’t everyone here own a DeLorean and a flux capacitor?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

But we gained a day from leap year. Therefore, we are still twenty-three hours to the plus.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

but we lost three days compared to when we had until april 18 due to Emancipation Day. 

PATAX
Level 15

You cannot go back a year. Not comparable.😉

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I hope my appointments today remembered to turn back the clock.. first appt is four minutes late at this time of typing.. late clients messes up my 30 minute schedule routine. 

dascpa
Level 11

3 returns in an hour? You're starting to annoy me. 

I just completed at least 5 hours on one business return, extensions only.  28 states.  Some use Federal extension, some require a franchise fee with the extension, some require client to file online as P.S. does not handle it and you cannot mail it in. 

I'm now working on an individual with well over a dozen investment accounts, foreign rental and of course they bought a Tesla and wall charger and I cannot find what the heck a GEOID is for the wall charger as it's required.  I really wish I had easy clients.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe you can work out some sort of trade with Jim.  One of your clients for 25 of Jim's? 😉

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@dascpa  No, you don't wish you had easy clients.  Another few years and those will be done by a machine at the supermarket that uses AI when you insert your driver's license and W-2s.

We pay for free K-12 education for all Americans, and then expect them to make a living doing easy returns?  Doesn't make sense.  That's why I support giving visas equal to 1% of the country's population to undocumented workers every year.  In three years, there will not be any "illegals."  And someone has to flip the burgers and make the beds at Motel 6.  Those aren't jobs for high school graduates.  And neither is preparing easy returns. 

Anyway, I got all the sleep I needed because Arizona avoids daylight savings time.  Except on the Navajo reservation, not including the Hopi reservation that it encircles.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I coulda sworn Californians voted out that time change thing crap a few years ago, but were still doing it!!

I think I got all the clocks in the house changed, and the clock out in my husbands workshop is finally correct again!

I slam out returns pretty quick,..,but Jim's got me beat!  

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

my 10 am never showed up but someone else emailed me their data and i got that return done in that slot so all is good.

BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  California liked DST so much that in 2018 they voted to keep it year-round.  But federal law preempted that.  You can have standard time all year, you just can't have daylight time all year.

If China can have only one time zone, why can't we limit ours to two?  Eastern Time and Western Time.  Makes Election Night a lot easier to follow, and stockbrokers on the West Coast (and in Arizona) don't have to start work at 6:30 a.m.

"Who is in favor of daylight saving time, then? According to Michael Downing, a Tufts University professor and author of the 2005 book Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Saving Time, the real masterminds behind daylight saving time are business interests.

“What we don't tend to know as Americans is that the biggest lobby on behalf of daylight saving since 1915 in this country—and to this very day—is the Chamber of Commerce,” Downing said in a 2015 video. (Downing passed away due to cancer in February of 2021.) “They understood something very early on. If you give workers daylight, when they leave their jobs, they are much more apt to stop and shop on their way home.”

Recreational industries have also been ardent backers of daylight saving time, according to Downing’s reporting. The golf industry claimed that DST was worth $200 million in additional revenue per year, while the industrial forces behind barbecuing estimate their annual daylight saving payout at $100 million, according to Downing."

https://californialocal.com/localnews/statewide/ca/article/show/896-daylight-saving-time-california/  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@dascpa wrote:

they bought a Tesla and wall charger and I cannot find what the heck a GEOID is for the wall charger as it's required.

You've probably found it by now, but look at Worksheet 1 in the Instructions for Form 8911.  The credit only applies to rural areas and certain low-income urban areas.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8911#en_US_2023_publink1000140996

PATAX
Level 15

People in low-income urban areas cannot afford a Tesla, and those in rural areas prefer gas powered trucks. So it looks like not too many people will get the credit.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Enough people seem to be able to afford them in order to make Elon happy.

Slava Ukraini!
Taxprohere
Level 7

🤔

Is this an hour we lose, or really just the hour we gained last fall and giving it back now?  And why do they say in the fall we 'gain an hour of sleep'?  What if I didn't sleep an extra hour. 

I have a mantel clock in my office bookcase which I didn't bother changing last time, and guess what?  It's suddenly showing the correct time today.