Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Submitted a Form 8453 by mistake but nothing needs to be mailed to IRS, what should I do?

Tax_Pro
Level 2

Hi,

I already did e-file my client's tax return with couple of attached statements for form 8949, but I already attached these statements to the e-filed tax return as pdf. But by mistake or confusion I did say yes on the check box under miscellaneous options section A on SCH D. I saw a form 8453 attached to the return but thought IRS would disregard it or thought it was standard since I attached the form 8949 attached statement with return first time as pdf. Also the wording for this yes or no question in Pro series is rather confusing and they don't say the word to be MAILED with 8453 to make us cautious. 

My question now is, should I mail the form 8453 and attached statements with it to IRS (the statements were already attached to e-filed and accepted return as pdf files) or should I count on IRS to figure out there is nothing else to be sent and form 8453 was generated and sent by mistake. 

Please suggest something as i am already stressing out about my client getting notice or his tax return going on hold. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I wouldnt bother. Theyve got what they need and the chance of a human actually reviewing what you attached or what you mail with the 8453 is slim to none.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I wouldnt bother. Theyve got what they need and the chance of a human actually reviewing what you attached or what you mail with the 8453 is slim to none.

Tax_Pro
Level 2

Thank you. This clears my head a bit. Also if IRS sends a notice, we can always mail form 8453 along with attached statements if needed. One more question, do you know if there is a way to confirms and/or check which pdf files were actually submitted with the e-filed return, after its accepted? Appreciate your reply 🙂

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Not really, if its attached and the return gets accepted, we have to go on faith that everything we sent was received.

0 Cheers
Tax_Pro
Level 2

thank you and i really appreciate your time and reply. Fingers Crossed. Hopefully all goes well. 🙂

I had the same issue. It looks like there is a way to check. I'm not sure how accurate it is but if you go back to the return and go to "e-file" at the top and then go to "attach pdf files", you can see at the top of the box in bold it will say something like "attachements for your 'client' (transmitted) 1040 federal return." I think since it says transmitted that it was sent with the return.

0 Cheers