Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stimulus check received by a disabled dependent

lbones
Level 5

I have a client that has a disabled son with autism.  The son receives Social Security Disability payments but does not provide more than half of his needs and therefore is claimed as a dependent.  My client has received the latest stimulus check totaling $4200 for him, his wife and son.  Then the disabled son received a direct deposit for $1400 as well.  Is this correct?  I believe that it should be sent back but I can find nothing specific to this situation

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
PATAX
Level 15

It does not sound like it is correct since $1,400 was sent for the same person twice, i.e. the first time to the parents since he was a dependent and the second time directly to the disabled dependent... So obviously it appears there has been an error.. just my opinion

BobKamman
Level 15

I was just wondering about that myself, as it applies to a parent with only Social Security income who is claimed as a dependent.  Apparently IRS has no way of screening federal-benefits recipients against claimed dependents.  I wouldn't send anything back until there is some clarification (not from IRS, they have a poor track record), but I wouldn't spend it either.  

BobKamman
Level 15

ARPA kinda sorta anticipates that there will be situations like this and tells IRS (Treasury) to try to do something about it with Regulations.  However, it also says that once an advance payment is made, it can't reduce the allowed credit below zero.

Kinaro
Level 1

I'm in this situation. My disabled son also got a 1400 deposit after I had already received my stimulus with him included as a dependent. I reached out to the IRS and they informed me to hold on to his and not spend it since they had no guidelines yet on how to deal with this type of thing. 

PATAX
Level 15

@Kinaro Thank you for the information....