Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

state with holding exceeds the allowed amount for efiling

shf1957
Level 7

Taxable income is only 166 and state with holdings are 60.  (larger income in 12.."J")  program states I can't efile due to the amount of state withholdings.   Is there away to over ride this. Or do I have to do a mail in?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I dunno why they would have withheld state taxes from non taxable sick pay. May want the client to double check that its correct with their employer.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
shf1957
Level 7

The only part of the income was 166. that was taxable and they withheld 40 for fed and 60 for nys...  the non taxable ofcourse is the large amount over 44000 ( box 12)       I know it's accurate, it's from a very replicable department.   Guess i'll have to do a mail in.

shf1957
Level 7

I figured 1/2 of it out.. the big half.   I can still efile for the federal and just have the state as a mail in.

This made the client VERY HAPPY.  Since the state is always the small refund.

0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

Virginia also has a weird rule (if I remember correctly) that you can't have more than 25% withholding rate. If the amounts are small, I would just lower the supposed VA withholding just so the efiling works. Mailing sucks.

0 Cheers

Mailing doesn't always suck.  If return has...questionable items...and if there is a balance due and no carryovers, then mail it in by certified mail.

Consider the taxpayers who recently got a letter saying they didn't file but they actually did by mailing in their returns.  A year has gone by and IRS hasn't processed them.  Yes, IRS cashed their check right away and now has no place to post that payment since they haven't processed the return.  I couldn't care less about that.  The important point is that the statute of limitations has basically been reduced by an entire year!