Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State tax refund worksheet STILL checks General Sales Tax making state tax refund not taxable.

cindybissevon
Level 3

Program automatically checks off General Sales tax, not SALT as being used in prior year. Am able to go in and check off SALT, but it is not an error message.  Only noticed because EIGHT filed returns showed zero taxability.  This is a PROGRAMMING error that has NOT been corrected.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you transferred your client returns into 2018 in Dec or early January, they had this transfer "bug".  

They fixed it last month, but the only way for the file to be "fixed" is to delete the file and retransfer from 2017 into 2018 (you should do this with any client files that you have not worked on yet) or open the state refund worksheet and check the proper box.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you transferred your client returns into 2018 in Dec or early January, they had this transfer "bug".  

They fixed it last month, but the only way for the file to be "fixed" is to delete the file and retransfer from 2017 into 2018 (you should do this with any client files that you have not worked on yet) or open the state refund worksheet and check the proper box.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Holy crap I’ll have to pay more attention.  This is the first I’ve heard of this.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
Program bugs at Intuit.  Unbelievable
0 Cheers
cindybissevon
Level 3
There was an "Alert" on 11/26/18 that said this would be corrected in 'early December', not January.  I do not think that my E&O should have to pay the over $1500 in refund errors I have found from already filed tax returns.  
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Rule number 1 when using tax software ------ no matter who the company is ---------- never blindly trust the software.  The first returns off of the assembly line I am looking through them with a fine tooth comb making sure that the numbers make sense.

Rule number 2 when using this tax software - don't blindly trust that something is fixed without verifying the fix.

Rule number 3 as a professional tax preparer - folks pay you for your expertise.  If they were just paying for a tax software, they would cut out the middle man and just buy Turdotax.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I always run through the state refund worksheet on every return that itemized the prior year...just to make sure its correct.

0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
Rule Number 4:  check here (On-Line Community) for bugs and solutions, BEFORE doing update!
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
Why would you even think about E&O when you can amend easily?  There may be disappointment, but no damage:  "you told us we had a refund, but we now owe."  NO damage, except expectations
0 Cheers
EDauerman
Level 3

Thank you for posting I think this may be my error!

0 Cheers