Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Return Printing Crashes

jkdenmark
Level 1

I am unable to print State returns in ProSeries Professional 2022. Every time I try to print a State return, either as a PDF or through my printer the entire program crashes. I have spent hours with support and cannot keep trying to troubleshoot. This is driving me crazy!

I am running Windows 11 on a Parallels Desktop on my Mac. I can print ANYTHING else but any State return crashes the software every. single. time.

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
BobKamman
Level 15

Which state?  Or have you tried it with more than one state?  Have you tried uninstalling that state, and then reinstalling it?  I occasionally had problems printing state returns, but could always turn them into a pdf and then print from pdf.  Pdf can be chosen as a printer, but isn't there also a way to convert returns directly to pdf from Homebase?  I don't have the program open right now.  

kathykalosky1
Level 1

I can print state returns but I CANNOT efile?

What's happening?

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Did you select the state to be efiled on the Federal Information Worksheet?

jkdenmark
Level 1

All states that I have tried to file with data that are complete (NY, NJ, PA, GA, SC)

Intuit support was logged in for two hours with no success, they told me it was my computer. I can print everything else and even print a majortiy of the return under the "Print Selected Forms" without the program crashing. 

Once I have the State return selected in any of the print screens, the status indicator clears each step until it gets the the State return and then the program closes. 

It's another reason I am struggling with renewing at 6K for next year. 

0 Cheers
jkdenmark
Level 1

Yes, it is selected to e-file. I can e-file fine, I cannot print them as a PDF or straight to my printer. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

To me, Apple has always been the Cadillac of computers.  It doesn't get you there any sooner, but it impresses your neighbors.  Many of my family and friends would disagree.  How old is the Mac?  How recently has its operating system, and Windows 11, been updated? Occam's Razor suggests that the miscegenation of Mac and Windows is the cause of a problem that few other people report. However, many other users succeed in running the program on a Mac, so there must be some special circumstance with your situation.  Is this the only computer you own?  Are you thinking of buying a new one anyway?

0 Cheers
jkdenmark
Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It's actually a Mac Mini that is maybe a year old. I made the switch to a Mac about 6 years ago and while there was a learning curve, I find the speed and reliability to be worth it. I am running the latest version of parallels (Windows 11) and cannot figure this one out.

Ironically, I have found the only programs that I have issues with are always tax programs. I can print anything else but as soon as I try to print a State return the program crashes without an error. I have had ProSeries for years and this has never happened. It could be a Parallels issue but the fact that I can print any individual or business return fine (via PDF or printer) leads me to believe it is a ProSeries internal issue. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Then maybe the problem is that your computer is too new.  Do you still have the older Mac?  Try it there.  The Intuit programmers may have added a "fix" years ago, that was essential to running the program on a Mac, but now it is a roadblock instead of a detour.  

0 Cheers