Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSA-1099 Garnishments or Tax Offset

gfpstaxes
Level 4

Is there any place in Pro Series to put a "Treasury Payment Offset Garnishment and/or tax levy" from a SSA-1099?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No, it doesn't play a part in the tax return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No, it doesn't play a part in the tax return.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Do you know what it is for? "may be withheld to pay child support, alimony, or court ordered victim restitution; and/or part of your Title II Social Security benefits may be withheld to pay your debt to the IRS."

For instance, it might be for paying Fed taxes owed in a prior year. If your taxpayer itemizes, or takes Fed taxes as deduction for State, you would treat it the same as if they made this payment.

A garnishment or levy is to force their money to be used, because your taxpayer tried to avoid paying for them selves, so someone made their payment for them using their money.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Just-Lisa-Now -  why are all of your replies posting twice?  Been that way for a while now???

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
weird, I'm only hitting submit once and only seeing them once

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ohh, when something is marked as Solved, it shows it twice...I dunno why.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Intuit set it up so that the reply selected as Solved is also seen at the top, even if it also is further down, and the border appears for the answer and the topic. And if that's the first reply, you see duplicate.

"it shows it twice...I dunno why."

Dang, girl; stop being Right all the time! Ha ha ha ha ha...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
ljr
Level 8

why would you need to show an offset - the full amount would still be taxable income (depending on income levels)