Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SREC Income (Solar Renewal Energy Credit)

pm-zz
Level 3

As a little background, Client files 2020 tax return and claims 26% Solar Energy Tax credit on 60,000 of qualified solar property installed on Main residence.   Per the IRS - the SREC payments/incentives are considered reportable income.   I'd say report as "Other Income".

As a result of the solar installation - client receives solicitation from let's call them "Green" TaxExperts" and they claim that client should file Form 3468, 4562, and Schedule C to claim Depreciation, Interest, Utilities, etc. because his solar equipment is generating income and therefore he is entitled to the corresponding tax deductions.  The client is retired and is NOT Self Employed.  In order to file Schedule C, an individual has to be "engaged an activity for profit" - this alone precludes the filing of Schedule C when the only motive of the "green tax experts" is to generate huge deductions.   The whole scheme seems not just aggressive but step on the gas aggressive.  Anyone had this come up or thoughts? 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

From last year https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/solar-panels-basis-for-...

Is this somehow related to Solar Tax Association?? A client recently present an opinion from a "CPA" that he paid $750 for supporting this stand. If it is that business is currently a suspended LLC in California.

I also found this https://www.facebook.com/BBBPacificSW/posts/i-want-to-write-a-watch-out-for-going-green-tax-experts-...

It it walks like a duck and squawks like a duck, sometimes it is a pig. It depends on how much you paid to watch the performance. If it was free, it probably really was a duck. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
pm-zz
Level 3

Thanks for the information - seems like similar situation as the BBB Pacific facebook post (i.e. "green tax expert" charges $590.00 up front an they'll give the completed Form 3468, Schedule C, and Form 4562 to you).  All fine and dandy except the problem is that there is no legitimate business activity involved.   

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"charges $590.00 up front"

And do you really think it is only coincidental that this falls under the1099 reporting threshold? Hmmm...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
They charge to prepare these forms, but they will likely refuse to do a complete return. If you use their forms, you assume total responsibility for their accuracy in filing.
DON'T DO IT if you have any hesitancy at all.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
pm-zz
Level 3

No way....I would never sign off on a scenario like this.

0 Cheers