Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spouse died in TY2019, but income is still being received under her SS#

jhbvtacpa
Level 5

Crazy scenario here!!

Spouse died in TY2019, but her husband has received income under her SS# each of the past two years. He's tried to rectify the situation to no avail. Tens of thousands of dollars in both income and withholding.

He obviously can't file MFJ, so how do we file? Any thoughts?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

If it is in deceased's name and SSN, how does spouse receive it?

Shouldn't it be her estate that is receiving it?

After 2 years, it should have been able to be resolved. Something doesn't smell right.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
what kind of income is it that she cant seem to get it changed?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: what kind of income is it that she cant seem to get it changed?

@Just-Lisa-Now- : She's dead.  She can no longer change anything.  

Okay okay, the above is in the Simsun font, in accordance with @George4Tacks' direction. 

Well, the need to fix the problem aside, the key questions are: (1) Was the widower entitled to the income?  (2) Did he get the income?   

If Yes for both, I would just add the income on his return and put down (IRD) behind the normal reference - e.g. For interest:

Bank of Nebraska (IRD)

See Section 691.

If the Trust or Estate was entitled to and received the income, it should be reported on the Form 1041.  Practically, however, Form 1041 are NOT filed for many a decedent...

Which brings us to an old riddle:

In California, is there a problem for a man to marry his widow's sister? 

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
jhbvtacpa
Level 5

Great answers by all of you!! Without going into details about the income sources, you've given me some good food for thought as to an attack plan!!