Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spontaneous Client File Loss

Tax-Time
Level 3

We are using ProSeries Professional and are regularly having client files disappear.  I have been unable to replicate the issue directly, as it appears to happen at random after a file is updated, saved and closed.  Users are not deleting the file.  This is a network environment with ~12 users.

I'm running two backups a day so we've been able to recover our data, but I'm deeply concerned about what's going on here.  I've had to restore about a dozen files thus far and I'm convinced it's not user error.  We've been using ProSeries for roughly 20 years and never experienced file loss like this.  I've seen some other posts regarding file loss and wonder if something is happening at the software level.

I recommend checking your data files occasionally.  If you don't have a *.cache file and a *.21I file for each client, you may have experienced data loss and not know it.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
this was reported last year in a network environment, I honestly dont think it was ever solved, its too random an unexpected for them to diagnose.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Tax-Time
Level 3

That's disappointing to hear.  It appears this product is more suited to a single-user environment. 

Thanks for the response.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im on stand alone, I did have one disappear last year, but I couldnt rule out operator error.....did I hit NO when I exited and it asked if I wanted to save? Its possible, so I couldnt put the full blame on Intuit.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers