Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"special rule" for MFS in Form 2441

Greta
Level 9

Couple stopped living together Oct 8, 2021. In smart Box for MFS, just under line 18 of Form 2441, for mother of child with $5000 in child care expenses: If I check the box for special rules ("not considered unmarried"), client gets the 50% credit. Otherwise, she gets nothing. Where do I find this special rule?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you check this box, then hit the little yellow ? on the toolbar, I think it explains it....it has to do with living together I believe.  Im in a CP state, so very rare that we file MFS, Im not up on how it works, sorry.

mfs2441.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you check this box, then hit the little yellow ? on the toolbar, I think it explains it....it has to do with living together I believe.  Im in a CP state, so very rare that we file MFS, Im not up on how it works, sorry.

mfs2441.png

Greta
Level 9

Thank you for directing me to the ? in the toolbar. I had never noticed it there! Great tool to know. I believe my client cannot claim the child care credit because the couple did not live apart during the last six months of 2021.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
It comes in handy, put your cursor on the line or checkbox that you want to know more about and use the ? button.