Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Name Control on Forms 1041

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

So I am having a unbelievable time trying to get an extension to perfect because of the frigging  Special Name Control. "code"  In all my years of ProSeries e-filing, I have never had to touch that cell, It's usually the first 4 letters. As we all know.   So about 6 last night, went out to file an extension on a new 1041 estate tax return.  The program default picks the first 4 letters of '"Edwin's" name, and off we go.  Now 24 hrs later, and about 12 variations of the Estate name, i still get the Special Name Control doesn't match.  And it even tells me, that first time filers might have a hard time filing because of this.   Well, DUH!!   I guess I will try the phone number suggested for this top-secret code matching program early Monday and see what the problem is. I sent a registered letter today with a paper extension, and a copy of e-filing history of how many times I tried before midnight....and since for that matter.

What is the purpose of this Special Name Control code?  other than irritation......

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions

Can you get your client to give you page 2 of Form CP575?  The name control is on that page at the top

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5

Can you get your client to give you page 2 of Form CP575?  The name control is on that page at the top

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

but,,,,,you didn't tell me why we need it....lol,  Thanks!!

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yea, that Page 2 of the EIN letter solves it, that 4 digit name control is up on the very top line of Page 2, but I remember a couple years ago, they futzed around with that name control thing and I had a helluva a time with some of them!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

This doesn't address your question as to why it is needed/what it is for, but I think I know why it wouldn't go through, even if you have the correct name control.

It seems that every year there is at least one trust/estate which needs an EIN and which I find out about right before the filing deadline.  Despite having the CP575 in hand, the IRS computer system takes an extended period to recognize that the EIN/name control is valid.  So if you get the EIN on Monday and attempt to file something that week, it is rejected.  In these instances I always end up paper filing, whether the actual return or more likely, the extension.

Now when I go to file the actual return several months later at the end of the extension period, it flies right through.  I am wondering if that was your problem here.  You had/guessed the right name control but had so recently gotten the EIN that one part of the IRS hadn't caught up with another part of the IRS and that caused your rejection.

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

that's probably it!  That's my reward for being such a good guesser!!

0 Cheers