Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some times I just want to cry

IRonMaN
Level 15

So I am looking through my pile of returns grabbing a few of what should be the easiest just to get some knocked off for the day.  Two in a row have notes about installing air conditioning systems.  One has a note saying if it qualifies for a credit, let them know and they will get the documentation to me.  Not a bit of information to go along with the statement.  The very next file I pick up has a note that they bought an air conditioning unit for X number of dollars along with a credit card statement but nothing else.  But on a positive note they did include a pamphlet on how to install their docking station for their new vacuum cleaner. 😳 

Slava Ukraini!
44 Comments 44
dascpa
Level 11

Try explaining SEER2, EER2, HSPF2, Capacity Rations to them, and then you can cry.

Camp1040
Level 10

There are multiple methods to attach a vacuum docking station.....just saying!

PATAX
Level 15

It seems like every return we do is complicated and/or has an issue. Something we have to research and/or something that takes time. I don't know how Jim is doing returns that fast. Must be a different type of client there in Ohio.

IRonMaN
Level 15

The good news for the day - no colonoscopy pics today ------------- at least not yet.

Client number one e-mailed me back some information and I spent 25 Jim returns trying to cross reference to see if I could identify the unit.  I put on my energy credit Nazi hat for the research and I came up with --------- no credit for you!

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN I hope I don't get one of those Energy Credit items. I might have to tell the client to research it themselves and provide the documentation to me.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I haven't had too many of them and most of them don't take long to figure out whether or not they qualify.

Slava Ukraini!
linduca1216
Level 7

I must say, though you are ready to cry, you just about made me laugh!

I though I was the only one going through this!

IRonMaN
Level 15

Misery loves company😁

Slava Ukraini!
TaxLaw
Level 4

I am drawing a blank WHERE is the Input return tab

IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe it's too early on a Sunday morning, but what do you mean by input return tab?

Slava Ukraini!
TaxLaw
Level 4

My Professional Intuit HELP recommended me to Go to the Input Return tab and claim for refund (843). I have used Intuit 40 years and now draw blank!

0 Cheers

Information gathering and management feels like a pain for me too. I propose more discussions, and sharing of tips and tricks, after tax season.

Information comes from multiple sources and I want to learn best practices from people.  I get info from these and I'm sure many of you can share more ways clients send us email.

Email

ShareFile

Intuit Link

Phone calls

Text messages

Mail

Drop offs at my home office (sometimes without advance notice.)

dascpa
Level 11

My individuals are now running 15% meeting, 15% drop off (all unannounced), 60% portal, 10% mail, fax, email and phone pics.

You can control your day with meetings. You cannot control all the other. It could be -0- or 20 in a day (yes Jim we know that's a slow day).

The portal is a pain.  6,000 files, front and back, stuff I don't need.  Like the 1,000 page home purchase documents.  Then you have the portal upload of a file, tomorrow, the next day, etc.  When are you done uploading?

I used to track the number of clients who had "everything" in one fell swoop. It was less than 10%. The start-stop-start-stop clearly adds complexity.  

I'm in a higher income area so everyone has many investment 1099's, rental properties, multiple states, foreign income, etc.  I would love a practice of 10,000 kids returns with one W-2.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"My Professional Intuit HELP recommended me to Go to the Input Return tab and claim for refund (843)."

I don't believe ProSeries offers that form so I'm not sure if they knew what they were talking about when they gave you that advice.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

"I would love a practice of 10,000 kids returns with one W-2"

Are you planning a move to Ohio anytime soon? 😀

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

I have a few clients who send their tax documents via USPS without any forwarning, or too even check that I am alive to prepare their return!

I just shake my head when I see that in the mail box.

dkh
Level 15

@Camp1040 wrote:

I have a few clients who send their tax documents via USPS without any forwarning, or too even check that I am alive to prepare their return!

I just shake my head when I see that in the mail box.

And they don't keep a copy in case USPS loses that envelope 

BobKamman
Level 15

I send my clients a "disorganizer" in January, so they know I'm still alive.  About 20% of my clients mail their stuff (from as far away as Rhode Island or as close as the next county); 45% drop stuff off (returns are usually mailed back, so they don't have to make two trips in Phoenix traffic); and 35% schedule appointments.  Does that add up to 100%?  I'm not very good at numbers.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

In all of my years of mailing stuff back and forth with clients, I only had one envelope missing in action.  It was a client that had moved about 42 times in the last 2 years, including a move while the return was being prepared.  That was before the days of me using priority mail, so she got pissed that I couldn't tell her whether or not the envelope ended up in Haiti or wherever.  She was a real, true blue PITA client, so I send thank you cards every year to the USPS for helping me get rid of her.

Slava Ukraini!
linduca
Level 3

I like when my clients scan and download their forms... ( I use what I hope is a secure website)

Saves me the time.   

Even so, and even with using a questionnaire,  I generally have questions for most of

@linduca I like scanned documents too. (I use Citrix Sharefile and I think it is secure.) I work form scanned documents rather than paper. It saves time when I don't have to scan paper documents.

I'm going to try to dissuade clients from texting me information.  

I have put a bolded sentence in my organizer to clients that I really, really like 2 packets of 98% of the information rather than 6-10 random dumps of info. I am teaching them how I like and need to work, and I will try to remember those who don't want to work with me as I'll be firing them if they don't cooperate.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"I have put a bolded sentence in my organizer to clients"

You have clients that can and do read?  Congratulations, a lot of us don't have that luxury.

Slava Ukraini!
linduca
Level 3

One way to "fire" them, is to charge way extra for the additional prep time...  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I really don't have any in my stable that I feel that I need to fire.  Ironwoman has a handful out grazing in the pasture that certainly could jump the fence and we wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@Strongsilence-CPA If any of my clients sends me two packets with only 98% of what I need, I write them a letter telling them they are idiots and not to darken my doorstep ever again.  Why can't they send 100%, in the first packet?, I ask.  Then I tear up the letter because they all do it.  I think it's because they really enjoy annoying me.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Bob - I find it hard to believe that you that you ever let anything annoy you 😜

Slava Ukraini!

(Some) Clients might not like to hear that you are human.  The best clients would understand the pressure we are under and would understand should you say something like "This is an issue that deserves more attention than I have. Would you mind if I extended your return?"  or "I have so much work piled up. Can you help me and research this or give me more information about this air conditioning systems?"

I try (try!) to bring some humanity - to both sides. They aren't perfect and deserve sympathy for not providing everything we need when we want it. We are human and can't provide everything clients need when they want it.

I recall a brilliant and hardworking CPA begging - literally - a client to not make her do the work he wanted.  She couldn't treat herself with respect. And her client saw her as a robot, a machine worker that he needed to get something done.

garvey
Level 2

It is your own fault for "being good at Math " in grade 12. If you went to HVAC school instead you could be charging $11,600 for the same work. and you would now be one of the  COOL ...KIDS. Planning retirement in Florida. Like me.

"Why can't they send 100%, in the first packet?

You know the answer to that.

dascpa
Level 11

Every year I cut off accepting new tax returns from existing clients on March 26th (tomorrow). It's trained my clients to get me stuff but a good 30%+ come in the last few days.  Then I'll accept missing info after that.

First client today - S Corp and personal. Brought his W-2 only.  Been busy, will get everything else to me. Second client both individual and estate.  Drove about 45 minutes to meet with me.  Left his bag of info by his front door.  Two clients so far and only one piece of paper to show for it.  Next client in a half hour has over 100 K-1's (he previously sold his business for $100 million and split it with one other owner) and is leaving for Italy tomorrow. He says he has some of it.

Waste of a day!

IRonMaN
Level 15

We all have the same clients (except for Jim), but like Dragnet only their names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Slava Ukraini!

"Waste of a day!"

It might not be wasted if you learn something from this - about your process, your clients, your time, etc. Many outcomes possible - even some that are positive. So I'm sorry you feel it is wasted.

dascpa
Level 11

It is a waste of a meeting if the client brings little info or forgets all their papers. The only positive outcome is the meeting is quick and I can work on other stuff. Maybe I should charge for stupidity.  I already charge for being a pain in the *** so why not this?  It's like a luggage fee at the airport or a seat fee on the plane.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Maybe I should charge for stupidity."

We can only dream ------------ I would be extremely rich if we could do that. 😯

Slava Ukraini!

How did some professions come to charge a late or no-show fee? I might try to charge a no-show next year on a client I don't like so much.

I charge on value and part of my value is the tolerance for these kinds of client mistakes and mess ups. 

I'm glad you found something positive.  You can work on a different client and maybe the dumb client just got himself pushed to after April 15.

dascpa
Level 11

Years ago a seminar instructor said they charged a very high fee and then subtracted amounts for "good jobs" like having all your data at once, opening the envelopes before the meeting, sorting the data into interest, dividends, etc.  They felt these discounts were better then penalties added.  In my practice there'd be no discounts for "good deeds".

TaxLaw
Level 4

Intuit solved my issue

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

@dascpa    Sure you would.  You just need to lower the bar a little for those clients to clear😬

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

@TaxLaw  - I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for you to tell us the solution 

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxLaw
Level 4

Program incorrectly recommended a solution than would not work with Professional.

Solved

0 Cheers
TaxLaw
Level 4

There is no Input Return tab in Professional ProSeries. Use the E-file attached scanned files.

So I downloaded *.pdf Form 843 from IRS website, filled out, sent to clients to sign and date then return for me to amend their filing.

Thank You for your help.

Stay Safe

Dr. Charles Hills, JD

@dascpa 

Anyone who brings me a bottle of Fireball gets a nice discount!🙃

@dkh 

I sent something to Fort Myers FL by priority mail on Wednesday.  It was supposed to be there on Saturday.  Last scan was at the post office when dropped off.  No one at post office knows where it is at.

I sent something else to Avon Park FL by priority mail on Thursday with anticipated delivery today.  It was delivered on Saturday.

It really is hit or miss who the post office.

IRonMaN
Level 15

If you would quit giving your USPS workers  a bottle of Fireball you wouldn’t have so many problems.

Slava Ukraini!