Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOC. SEC. BENEFITS WKST NOT SUBTRACTING OUT NON-TAXABLE UNEMPLOYMENT

JJD753
Level 3

Just did a return which had $8140 of non taxable unemployment and social security. The unemployment worksheet subtracted out the unemployment on schedule 1 which then shows "0" on line 9 of the schedule but the social security benefit worksheet is still including the unemployment on it's line 3 making the taxable portion of social security higher than it should be. This is the first time I noticed this so I'm going to have to go back and check on some of the other one's I've done. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

"...I asked for reference to that information."

If you wish confirmation of the accuracy of it - google for the law that was passed and read the details.

That will confirm whether Intuit is handling it correctly.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
tiredofhotmail
Level 2

I mentioned this last night on the message board but was told by two people that is the way it is supposed to be.  I asked for reference to that information.  That SS form specifically ask for Sch 1 line 9.  And they don't match.  I've tried to find info, but not having much luck.

thanks

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"...I asked for reference to that information."

If you wish confirmation of the accuracy of it - google for the law that was passed and read the details.

That will confirm whether Intuit is handling it correctly.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

Reference:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/re-another-new-unemploy...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
JJD753
Level 3

Thanks for all the replies! Not the answer I wanted but it is waht it is.

tiredofhotmail
Level 2

thank you.  it wasn't so much if they were handling it correctly, i had googled and couldn't find the exact verbage.

thanks for your help.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Also remember that the social security worksheet was released way before the recent law change. It has not been updated.

Ex-AllStar