Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I was always under the impression that IRS cross matched DOB for TP/SP, but I guess they dont

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Just had a client in, her DOB has been wrong on the tax return for 20 years....I've had 1955 as DOB, but its actually 1953...so she actually turned 65 in 2018 and will get a higher standard deduction.....does IRS just not care about DOB until they hit an age that it makes a difference?

If we hadn't caught the error this year, would IRS have automatically changed the return and given them a higher standard deduction?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I had one last year that the client finally noticed the bad date after 120 years.  But in my case, the year was correct, it was just the month or day that was bad. 

Since it would be in the client's favor, I would guess that the IRS wouldn't have changed it.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

I had one last year that the client finally noticed the bad date after 120 years.  But in my case, the year was correct, it was just the month or day that was bad. 

Since it would be in the client's favor, I would guess that the IRS wouldn't have changed it.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Seems to me that I had a few get kicked out during the whole Y2K mess; but not recently.  

I also thought the IRS *matched*, but obviously they don't.   And I agree with Jeff, highly unlikely they would "notice" if the error didn't benefit the IRS :joy:

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I had a client that had to be filed with an incorrect DOB due to it being the DOB the Social Security Office had on file, even though it was wrong. Finally convinced the client to make the trip to the SS office to correct the DOB when he got close to retirement age, because the DOB on file made him 2 years younger than he really was.

Did the return e-file with the corrected DOB?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I'll find out Monday morning when Im back in the office.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
She applied for and will start receiving SS next month, so I'm guessing SSA has the correct DOB, the tax return has been wrong (2 years younger) the whole time.

0 Cheers