Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplified Return Filing Procedures per Rev. Proc. 2020-28

JEromanix
Level 3

Rev. Proc. 2020-28 poste 4/20/2020 provided a way to file a tax return electronically for filers that are not required to file and file electronically to speed receipt of their payments.

The simplified return should include only the following informatio

•  Write "EIP2020" on the form.
  • Select the individual’s filing status as of the end of tax year 2019
  • Provide required identification information, including name, mailing address, and SSN for the individual (and spouse on a joint return).
  • Provide information regarding each dependent who was under the age of 17 at the end of tax year 2019.
  • Generally leave lines 1 through 24 blank, even if the values for these lines are in fact not zero, except as values are required for electronic returns.
  • Properly sign the return under penalties of perjury, using an IP PIN if applicable.

The IRS will compute the Economic Impact Payment based on this information. The IRS will not challenge the accuracy of the items of income that are properly reported under these procedures.

Hs any one know how to get Proseries to do this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

How about doing it on the IRS website?

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Nobody at IRS is opening mail...so Im seeing a flaw in your plan.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
lrhenry04
Level 3

I have helped two (ex)clients file through the IRS website. They are both not working and their husbands collect social security. The problem with the system is they are required to have an email address. Both clients needed me to create email accounts so that we could file.

This would be much easier if ProSeries would step up and help us help our community. I am actually finishing up a return from someone with just enough investment income to be required to file in the state of Illinois. She does not get a Federal refund so I came here looking to see if anyone has gotten creative. Maybe create a $1 refund to get the bank information to the IRS?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

removed...misread

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
JEromanix
Level 3

Not practical,

We went remote since March 17th. The time involved with a remote client would not be efficient since I will be doing this free as a favor to our current clients

Once Rev Prc 2020-28 is in place all of use will be able to this for our clients families in 10 minutes or less.

This is why we pay the big bucks for our software! 

0 Cheers
JEromanix
Level 3

Rev. Proc. 2020-28 is the answer  to file a tax return electronically for filers that are not required to file and file electronically to speed up their credit.

The procedure specifies that you have to send a code in the electronic file to make this work and if they are not required to file enter key $1 information in the 1040-SR

I hope someone from Intuit is working on  this!

IRS commisioner Rettig was to have a webcast on the economic Impact payment, today a 2pm EST  but it was cancelled,   

The COVID-19 pandemic continues to change the way that we live and work and do business

We are working all the wrinkles as we go., we are getting better every day,

we are adapting.

I love my job!  I should have not given up drinking for Lent!  What was I thinking? 

LOL

0 Cheers
ABis
Level 2

Any updates on this?

Is there a way to write “EIP2020” on the return in Proseries Pro?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

If they get their SS, SSDI or RR retirement as direct deposit, they don't need anyone to do anything on their behalf. The banking info is already being provided.

The IRS has two sites: one for Nonfilers and one for those filers who never provided banking info for any direct deposit reason. There is nothing that prevents their tax preparer from using the portals on behalf of the client.

I don't understand why anyone thinks filing a paper return under the EIP provision would make sense at this point.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.