Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signature for deceased spouse's return

linduca1216
Level 7

Signature protocol for deceased's 1040, where 1310 shows Part1, C as marked and part II, lines1 and 3 marked "Yes." It is the spouse who is filing...   I 'm thinking signature followed by "personal representative."

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
dkh
Level 15

If it is the surviving spouse, why not Part I A marked instead of C ?    If it is the surviving spouse filing wouldn't it be signed "surviving spouse" instead of personal representative?   

linduca1216
Level 7

They are not requesting a refund reissued  only in her name... and that what A seems to say

They are MFS....

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@linduca1216 wrote:

They are not requesting a refund reissued  only in her name... and that what A seems to say

They are MFS....

They are not requesting a refund reissued  only in her name - really sounds like you are trying to correct something. If this is an original return for a MFJ return, the 1310 is not required. See page 80 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

OR Just use help that can be found here using "survivor" 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/federal-taxes/filing-return-deceased-taxpay...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
linduca1216
Level 7

They are filing married filing separately.  Surviving spouse indicated there was a will but no representative...  That is why I chose C.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Why MFS ? being that one spouse has passed no need for surviving spouse to worry about keeping things separate from spouse any longer. Just curious  

linduca1216
Level 7

Less tax due...

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

@Terry53029  On a MFJ return with a deceased spouse, the surviving spouse is liable for everything on that joint return.

Although, if surviving spouse inherited everything, they are probably liable any way even if MFS..

Ex-AllStar
linduca1216
Level 7

Yes, the filing was not in regards to any liability but rather a tax savings... less tax due if they filed separately.

0 Cheers