Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i send a client his final tax return before payment?

joe7230
Level 1

A client insists that I send him the final version of his return before He sends payment.  What prevents him from printing out the return and mailing it in without paying me.  

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Camp1040
Level 10

For review, send him a copy and electronic versions of w-2 and watermark the copy not for filing. If he is local, insist on a sit down review, or give him his documents back and say goodby.

New client? Apparently since you don't trust him or her!

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

If that is how little you trust your clients, perhaps you have the wrong client base.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Does your Engagement Letter say payment is due before delivery?

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This is a common problem for preparers that get random clients from who knows where, lots of people looking to scam you...you give them a copy and they never return and never pay you and use your numbers in some DIY program.

Many preparers collect a deposit up front prior to starting the preparation, just to make sure you dont end up working for free.

If therye going to make this an issue, and refuse to pay, Id return their workpapers back to them and they can go find someone else.  I wouldn't give them a copy until I was paid for my work.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abctax55
Level 15

"...A client insists..."

That alone would make this a 'former client'.   

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
ljr
Level 8

is he a new client or exisitng client? If they have been with me a while I will trust that they send me the payment. New clients I take a deposit or payment upon completion before sending them the return. If they refuse send them back their originals - how do you know they won't copy your work into turbotax? I too keep the watermark their copies. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Since I'm another Jeff, I will second the other Jeff's post.  You have to have a little trust in your clients.  If you don't trust them, do you really want to be doing their returns?  I have never held a client's return hostage for payment.  Maybe it's the anvils talking, but once I'm done with the return the client picks it up and pays me whenever he or she likes.  Some clients pay on the spot, some pay in a few days, and some pay in a few decades, but for the most part they pay.  Every once in a blue moon I write off an outstanding account but that is pretty rare.

Slava Ukraini!
Accountant-Man
Level 13

One time a client got his forms but never singed the 8879, so I never e-filed them. Never paid the invoice either.

I was still in the Where's My Refund? timeframe, so I checked. Funny, their refund was EXACTLY the same as the return I prepared but never e-filed.

Hmmm.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
PATAX
Level 15

Everyone made some really good comments on this subject. I know all of my clients, and I don't take new clients unless it's a relative or referral of a client, and still I might not take them. I just got the efile signature forms back from a client in Pittsburgh and she forgot to include the check. No problem, I immediately filed the returns. She just forgot the check,, and I'm not worried about the money at all. 

abctax55
Level 15

Jeff @IRonMaN 

Oh, I do the same.....re: payment.  Most of my clients have been clients for decades, so 'non-payment' is just not an issue.  There might be delayed payments, but that's OK.  I know where most of these folks live <w>.

MY issue was with the OP's comment of 'my client insists'.   That doesn't fly with me; I'm the 'insister' in my little universe.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"