Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I amend client 's return?

bill6
Level 3

I have a client that whose income of $490 was reported incorrectly as Partnership income when in fact it was S-Corp income.  The Schedule K-1 provided to the shareholder-employee had it correctly stated as Schedule K-1 for an S-Corp. Just be clear, the error was made when this income was reported on the individual's own tax return. 

When it is correctly reported it doesn't change the refund amount nor the taxable income on the Federal return and has a very minimal impact on state tax return (increase in taxable income of less than $150 and decreases refund/increases tax by $10). 

Should I amend the returns for this error?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

None on the federal.  But since there is a small difference on the state, you need to ask the client what they want done.  Most clients are going to say don't bother because it is such a small amount.  But there are some out there that won't sleep at night for the next few years, afraid the State is going to get a SWAT team together to bring them in one night while they are sleeping.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Technically yes, especially since it was your error.

Practically, doesn't seem worthwhile.  CGMC.

Discuss it with the client.

Ex-AllStar
bill6
Level 3

What would be the repercussions, if any, if we didn't amend? Just want to fully understand what the major differences between the way it was reported and the way it should have been reported when the tax outcome is the same. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

None on the federal.  But since there is a small difference on the state, you need to ask the client what they want done.  Most clients are going to say don't bother because it is such a small amount.  But there are some out there that won't sleep at night for the next few years, afraid the State is going to get a SWAT team together to bring them in one night while they are sleeping.

Slava Ukraini!