Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEP-IRA contribution by self-employed Sch C

Greta
Level 9

Client wants to contribute 3% of W-2 wage to each employee's SEP-IRA. He found an IRS instruction that he must contribute same 3% for himself. But when I check the maximum box, it's a lot more. Which is correct?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

"for SEP-IRA, does employer have to do same % as he does for his employees?"  YES

"Would it be OK, this being 1st year, for him to just do SEP for himself and skip employees?" NO. If there is a contribution for the owner, there must be a comparable contribution for each eligible employee.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

15 Comments 15
sjrcpa
Level 15

If he wants to do the maximum for himself, he has to contribute the same, as a % of wages, for all of the eligible employees. You can't discriminate in favor of the owner.

Ex-AllStar
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Then just don't check the maximum box.   He does not have to contribute the maximum, as a matter of fact, as @sjrcpa alluded to. he just has to contribute at the level he contributes to employees, with the caveat that the calculation is just not that simple.  If he is a Sch C filer, then his contribution (if he wants to do 3% for employees), then his contribution is at 3% divided by 1.03 or 2.91% level

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
Greta
Level 9

Business owner wants to contribute more than 3%, he wants to do the max. Is that OK? He sent me the following IRS instruction: "Annually the employer would make a contribution to their own SEP IRA account and to each eligible employee's SEP IRA account. The percentage contributed into each SEP IRA account is the same percentage for the employer and each eligible employee."

abctax55
Level 15

SEPP contributions CAN be a max of 25% of W-2 wages, 3% max sounds more like a SIMPLE.  

Which one are you actually talking about?  Altho, you can do 3% for the SEPP if ya' want 🙂   Like Susan says, the same %% has to be used for EE and for owner.

And the SEPP for the owner/Sch C actually ends up being just a bit less than 20% of the net Schedule C when you work thru the math (due to SE tax adjustment).

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Greta
Level 9

I may indeed be mixing it up with Simple. But it's too late for client to set up a Simple. So for SEP-IRA, does employer have to do same % as he does for his employees?

Would it be OK, this being 1st year, for him to just do SEP for himself and skip employees?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"for SEP-IRA, does employer have to do same % as he does for his employees?"  YES

"Would it be OK, this being 1st year, for him to just do SEP for himself and skip employees?" NO. If there is a contribution for the owner, there must be a comparable contribution for each eligible employee.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

You have quoted the rule. It has to be followed.

Ex-AllStar
Accountant-Man
Level 13

No. 20% maximum for himself is 25% maximum for employees, ASSUMING THEY QUALIFY.

No mention yet that all or any employees qualify for SEP IRA.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Greta
Level 9

Thank you! They apparently do not qualify, having been with employer less than 2 yrs. So best to do maximum in 2022 for employer only, and see how 2023 pans out.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Double check, as I'm going on a vague memory.....  I'm not sure the 2 year/3 year as an employee rule applies for the initial year.    The administrator of the plan should know.

Maybe I've just had too much spiced eggnog tho 🤔

( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

@abctax55 wrote:

Double check, as I'm going on a vague memory.....  I'm not sure the 2 year/3 year as an employee rule applies for the initial year.    The administrator of the plan should know.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-regarding-seps

"Are the eligibility requirements the same for all employees in a SEP plan, including owners?

Yes. The eligibility provisions stated in the SEP plan document must apply equally to owners and employees."

If the business was just started this year and the owner picks a 2-year experience requirement then the owner is likely ineligible.

abctax55
Level 15

Wow... the memory isn't totally shot.  Yet... thanks Ric.

( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

I didn't realize there was such thing as "too much".  😂

abctax55
Level 15

Bill... too much nogg, or too much spice ?  Both ?

( Generic Comment )"
Accountant-Man
Level 13

In 2023, the qualification is 3 years and at least $650* in wages each year.

*Probably $650, could be more, but I doubt it.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.