Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEP IRA AND 401K SOLO

HOPE2
Level 8

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for taking time. Client,1099 independent contractor has high net income on schedule C, no EIN number and has no employee. I need a hint that can client to contribute in SEP IRA and 401k SOLO simultaneity before April 18 for 2021? Also, maximum 401k SOLO contribute is $58000 but I was wondering that ProSeries limits to $19500! I think I confused how to find the part of capacity of being employee ( 401K SOLO) in contribute worksheet and where should enter the capacity of being  employer for SOLO about $58000? Hope someone can help to some get clarity.

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
dkh
Level 15
0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks. I already read it but my answer were not there.

qbteachmt
Level 15

I found an article that might be helpful:

https://www.solo401k.com/blog/can-i-contribute-to-a-sep-ira-and-solo-401k/

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

In a nutshell, the employee portion is limited to $19,500, and that needs to be decided upon by December 31st of last year (but does not need to be deposited until April 15th).

The employee portion is limited to roughly 18%-19% of Schedule C profit.  There is point in doing both a SEP and 401k because you still have the same limits.

Does that help at all?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

The Employer contribution for the Solo 401(k) and the entire SEP amount (as it is considered an Employer contribution) is often not determinable until the business return is prepared (unless the client clearly made more than enough...), so that explains why the employer amounts have a due date of the due date of that tax form. And even though the Employer Solo 401(k) portion can be deposited after the end of the year, the plan needs to have existed prior to that year end and not by the due date of that tax form.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers