Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sell of property within a partnership

mphillips1994
Level 3

I have a new client that has a domestic limited partnership with 3 family members and in the partnership they have a rental building and a restaurant.  The rental building was sold in 2018 and the loss was reported on the taxpayers personal return but wasn't taken out of the partnership return.  The previous tax preparer didn't show anything on the 1065.  He unexpectedly died this year and this taxpayer has brought his info to me.  How do I need to handle this situation on the  2019 1065?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@mphillips1994 wrote:

in the partnership they have a rental building and a restaurant.  The rental building was sold in 2018 and the loss was reported on the taxpayers personal return but wasn't taken out of the partnership return.  

If the Partnership did not report the sale in 2018, then the 2018 tax return needs to be amended.

If the 1040 directly reported the sale, that needs to be corrected.  Amend the 1040 to delete the direct sale and add the updated information from the amended K-1.

When things are amended, then the 2019 tax return won't reflect that "situation" at all.