Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sell of person home

Dani70
Level 3

If client bought there home (primary residence) for 140,000.00 sold it 5yrs later 385,000.00 they are at 245,000.00 as gain. This is not including things to add to there cost basis. Do I need to enter anything? If I do where do I enter it at?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

In the amount of time you spent asking these questions, you could have easily completed the sale worksheet ( hit f6 key and type sale) form only takes a couple of minutes after you have done a few, (not enough to change my fee). I do it on every sale as even 5 minutes per return at a maximum 10 returns that apply each tax season is less than one time having to respond to a notice,

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

If there is no 1099-S I have sometimes not reported it at all.. if you want to be safe call up the home sale worksheet

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Since the sale was for 385K a 1099S was issued and floating around out there somewhere, youd report this on the HomeSale worksheet....they should qualify for the IRC121 250k exclusion and end up with nothing taxable.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Dani70
Level 3

No 1099 S was issued

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You don't know how many times that a client has told me that they didn't receive a 1099S.  But it's also amazing how many times when they give me their paperwork for the sale, how quickly I can find one.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If it was over 250k, it should have been issued, whether the client actually has a copy of it, is another matter. 

Id report it anyhow, avoid the chance of a letter down the line.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

Assuming "there" means "their" and you are working on a joint return, it's quite possible that no 1099-S was issued because the sale was for less than $500K and the taxpayers certified that the home had been their primary residence for two of the last five years.  it's also quite possible that their closing documents included a copy of the certification form they signed.  So the place to start is by asking (or looking) for that, to avoid needless paperwork.  Unless you really want to run up the bill.  

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I meant to say if there is NO 1099-S I skip it.

0 Cheers
Dani70
Level 3

I have asked the client about the 1099 S and She has told me she did not get one. How would I find one if it is out there. I thank everyone so much for the help this is the fist house sale i have ever done on taxes. So I am a fish floating in water. I want to make sure I am going over everything. She is single also. The closing statement is confusing compared to the sale of home work sheet.

Thank you everyone 

Dani

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

In the amount of time you spent asking these questions, you could have easily completed the sale worksheet ( hit f6 key and type sale) form only takes a couple of minutes after you have done a few, (not enough to change my fee). I do it on every sale as even 5 minutes per return at a maximum 10 returns that apply each tax season is less than one time having to respond to a notice,

rcooley25
Level 11

If the client was msarried there should havew been a five hundred thousand dollar exclusion.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Different keystrokes for different folks.  I don't assume there is not a little man at IRS with a green eyeshade looking at returns and saying, "these folks didn't get a 1099-S but they still think they have to claim the exclusion, maybe we should look at what that's all about."  I do assume that my clients look at returns and expect me to explain where the numbers came from.  So I feel some obligation to ask them about basis and improvements and all that.  For those who don't waste their time talking to clients before and after a return is done, the shortcut probably works well.  

0 Cheers