Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section 965(a) amount

ivanwayne
Level 2

section 965(a) amount is reported to taxpayer on k-1

the amount is quite small

From what I read, it sounds like there is a requirement to report income on the 1040 and a requirement to report and pay tax on some other form

Also I understand there is a disclosure statement that is required, and so far I have not seen any references to where that reporting is done

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

§965(a) income net of §965(c) deduction should be reported on Line 21 of F.1040 unless the taxpayer is eligible for §962 and elects to be taxed as a domestic C-corp for the purpose of Subpart F.  An IRC 965 Transition Tax Statement signed under the penalty of perjury must also be attached to the return.

You should also review whether the taxpayer is required to file F.5471 based on constructive ownership.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

§965(a) income net of §965(c) deduction should be reported on Line 21 of F.1040 unless the taxpayer is eligible for §962 and elects to be taxed as a domestic C-corp for the purpose of Subpart F.  An IRC 965 Transition Tax Statement signed under the penalty of perjury must also be attached to the return.

You should also review whether the taxpayer is required to file F.5471 based on constructive ownership.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
kkosmatka
Level 1
Also, it appears that the 965 tax from Form 965-A should be put on Schedule 4 line 63.  However, if you do that, it appears that you are double taxing the 965 income since it is already on line 21.  Has anyone else experienced that?
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
9 months ageo the answer applied to the 2017 1040. I haven't done any 2018 ones with this yet.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers