Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section 179 deduction on work van does not transfer to Schedule C

jzava
Level 1

FACTS: On January 10, 2023 my Sch. C client bought a used heavy duty van he used 89% for work in 2023, the vans has a depreciable basis of $15,808.  I did not include the van in the original 2023 return and I am now doing a 1040X to include depreciation and a $10,000 section 179 deduction.  In the original return I used the standard mileage deduction of 36,000 work-miles.  ISSUE:  doing the 1040X I accessed the auto schedule, entered the $10,000 section 179 (also entered other amounts with the same result) but the depreciation is not reflected in any of the forms – there s no change in the amount due for 2023.  The depreciation is not recognized. The program issued a depreciation schedule for the van with some odd numbers. Intuit customer support (level 1) was unable to resolve my problem.  Any ideas as to I am doing wrong?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can take standard mileage rate or the business percent of actual expenses - subject to various rules.

If you still have standard mileage rate in the return you won't get depreciation.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can take standard mileage rate or the business percent of actual expenses - subject to various rules.

If you still have standard mileage rate in the return you won't get depreciation.

Ex-AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

on the auto work sheet go to line 24 and check box to force method.