Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule E Depreciation allocation for multiple owners

jcash
Level 2

New client to me.  Owns 47% of a residential rental property.  All expenses recalculated using the 47% except for the depreciation.  The schedule E worksheet does not all me to allocate depreciation and therefore by default this client is showing 100% of the depreciation.  Does anyone know a fix around for this?  Thanks in advance!

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Go to the Asset Entry Worksheet and do either (a) enter 47% as the business percentage, or (b) change the Basis to 47% of the total cost (the Basis of your client).

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Go to the Asset Entry Worksheet and do either (a) enter 47% as the business percentage, or (b) change the Basis to 47% of the total cost (the Basis of your client).

jcash
Level 2

thanks Bill.

I did try using the business percentage but it came back incorrect.  (I think because its below 50%.

I will reduce basis as a fix.

This is sort of crazy that they don't allow application of the ownership % on Schedule E.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Not any crazier than thinking all owners have the same basis.  Your guy could have bought the 47% from a previous co-owner, or inherited it from someone who left it to him along with stepped-up basis.  

0 Cheers
jcash
Level 2

Good point!  In this case the overall basis is the same for all parties. 

0 Cheers