Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule C, where to put proceeds from a loan to a company?

jeffferysr
Level 1

A client borrowed money from a bank to help the business.  Where do I show those bank proceeds on his schedule C, or where do I show the proceeds?

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

<sacarsm font on>Dig out an old "Introduction to accounting" text book and read the chapter on reporting loans as income.....<sacarsm font off>

qbteachmt
Level 15

Two issues:

You cannot loan to or borrow from yourself, for a Sched C entity, because you and that entity are the same. There is nothing to report, except if the loan proceeds are used for a business reportable activity, then the interest might qualify for business expense.

No one reports loan proceeds as other than being in debt. Don't confuse Banking and Income as if they are synonyms.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

"No one reports loan proceeds as other than being in debt"

But unfortunately a lot of people try since this is far from the first time this question has been asked. 🤔

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"But unfortunately a lot of people try"

I've always found that odd; as I teach in my class: "Do you really want to report the money you loaned to your business as income and pay taxes on it?"

When you put it like that, it usually helps them see the flaw.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN there are also many business owners that think when they sell their business that the loans that they pay off with the business sale proceeds will reduce their gain...

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, I think they teach that someplace because they all seem to think that.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

And when they sell their house, the amount used to pay off the mortgage reduces the gain.

Ex-AllStar