Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sch J for farm income avg. is giving me a tax that I know is incorrect. Return has decrease of 13000.00 in tax on an 18000 farm profit Anyone else having suspicious?

MC13
Level 2
This cannot be figuring correctly.
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Yeah, there is not a way for that to happen.  They only save on income tax and there is no 72% income tax bracket.  So even if previous years were all $0, they could not save that much.  And it does not change this years return so no new added EIC or CTC or reduction in PTC repayment can occur.  But as far as manually calculation Susan, I don't think anyone would even attempt that.  Had to be some kind of user error.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Go over the form yourself and recalculate it manually.

Ex-AllStar
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Yeah, there is not a way for that to happen.  They only save on income tax and there is no 72% income tax bracket.  So even if previous years were all $0, they could not save that much.  And it does not change this years return so no new added EIC or CTC or reduction in PTC repayment can occur.  But as far as manually calculation Susan, I don't think anyone would even attempt that.  Had to be some kind of user error.

MC13
Level 2

Thank you for your thoughts. After triple checking, I did find an input error. I appreciate your help. M.

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

@MC13 It is not an error.  It is only an error if it is not caught.  You questioned it and looked up and asked for suggestions.  We just have to have a process or checklist to ensure errors do not go thru.  Happy taxing.